PDA

View Full Version : HP Scanjet 3970 drivers

supertrouper
19-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Hi all..

I was recently given an HP Scanjet 3970 flatbed scanner. Powers up and seems to work.
Only problem - no CD came with it.

I have been to HP's website and the driver download for this is over 200 Mb in size!
I don't fancy having to download all that, just in case the scanner is in fact faulty, as most of the download is just extra frilly stuff from the install CD that isn't actually necessary for the scanner to function.

All I want are the bare basic drivers - LTX precision scan for the 3970.

Can someone suggest a link for these? I'm thinking they can't be more than 5 - 10 Mb tops just for the drivers.

I have tried everything that Google came up with, including Driverguide.com. There were some there but it mentioned something about "simplified Chinese" so that wouldn't be much use to me.

Failing that, if someone has an install CD they no longer want, I'd be most grateful.

gibler
19-10-2005, 10:49 PM
I remember something like this once.

Try HP's FTP site (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/software)

I think these might be the bare bone drivers.

supertrouper
20-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Thanks for that Gibler, I went there, and there's a fair few files for downloading, but the file names don't mean much to me, they're some sort of generic numbering system. I had a quick look but couldn't see any "master list" to tell me what, if any of the files were relevant to my scanner..

Graham L
20-10-2005, 01:51 PM
It might be worth trying a live CD Linux. It might recognise the scanner.

PENTIUM
20-10-2005, 05:07 PM
I have found H P in Auckland helpful in such situations.
They may, or may not, decide to make a small charge for the driver C D.
Forget about their "Authorised Service Agents", have never enjoyed much cooperation from that source.
P/S I have been in computing for 25 years, not sure how I qualified for the new boy status!

Graham L
21-10-2005, 12:50 PM
PENTIUM: Only 25 years?

Never mind, you'll become a "Senior Member" when you rack up 100 postings. At your present rate of 0.12 postings/day, that should take you only 800 days or so. :D

Shuhadaku
13-08-2006, 02:13 PM
As a rule, I hate to bump ancient threads, but this is very high up on a google for "scanjet 3970 drivers". I just managed to get this beast working, so let me post a tip for those wandering lonely abandoned forum threads - The FTP repository works, the file is sj (for scanjet) 397 (3970) en (for english) - sj397en.exe. I would venture out on a limb and say that other scanners are numbered similarly. Cheers!

Venturello
05-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Direct link: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/software/sj397en.exe

Driver is still over 20 megs, still too much for just a driver.

Downloading anyway... thanks for the tip!