PDA

View Full Version : Opening Windows Explorer in a different location?

Bazman
19-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Whenever I open Windows Explorer it opens to My Documents. I don't have anything in MD nor do I use it. Would I be able to open WE in one of my partions perhaps?

johnboy
19-10-2005, 03:50 PM
Right click the my documents shortcut click properties and change the target to where ever you want.
hth

johnboy
19-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Change the Windows Explorer Default Startup Folder

Click Start/All Programs/Accessories, and then right-click Windows Explorer. On the menu that appears, click Properties.

In the Target box, append the "/root" command-line switch to the "%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe" command, using the startup location that you want. For example, if you want Windows Explorer to start at the root of drive C, edit the command to the following: %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /root, C:\. To have C open expanded: explorer /n,/e,c:\

For it to open to My Documents:

explorer /n,/e,%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\My Documents. (Explorer /root, c:\Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents).

To Stop Windows Explorer from opening My Documents

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. In the right pane under Userinit, Change the key that reads: C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,C:\Windows\System 32\Userinit.exe (file:///C:/Windows/Syste32/Userinit.exe,C:/Windows/System32/Userinit.exe) To: C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe (file:///C:/Windows/System32/Userinit.exe),

from here

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_mydocs.htm