PDA

View Full Version : LCD Screen Cleaning

Obelix
19-10-2005, 12:47 PM
We have just installed new equipment at work, which has resulted in the deployment of approximately 25 LCD screens.

I am looking for a product that I can use to clean the screens.

Dick Smith has a wipe that is available, but it is like $10.00 for 5 wipes, which really isn't very economical.

Does anyone have some suggestions as to what to use, and where to possibly buy it from...

Peter

mark c
19-10-2005, 01:21 PM
I have zero exp with cleaning LCD screens but if you put "LCD cleaning" into the search at this forum you'll get a bundle of threads. Have a start with that. HTH...m

Nyuuji
19-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Trusty olde "Mr Muscle" :D
(window cleaner spayed onto lint free cloth)

mejobloggs
19-10-2005, 10:02 PM
No! Don't use Mr Muscle. Mr Muscle has a solvent in it. Long use of it might screw up the lcd as it may corrode the outer display

Use a 1:1 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water and soak it up in a lint cloth and wipe gently across and let it evaporate.

If you can afford, you can use pure isopropyl without water but that might get expensive.

godfather
19-10-2005, 10:12 PM
White vinegar and water mixed is fine.

My commercial cleaner has Isopropyl Alcohol as well, but its not essential.

Google will tell you the same.

If you get is damp enough that the moisture runs down the screen, its going to damage it whatever you use. Just damp is the word, not even moist.

The surface is plastic, so all solvents (aka Mr Muscle) or anything with ammonia in it is bad news

Nyuuji
20-10-2005, 07:53 AM
ohh.....ok. no more muscles for me then.

Misty
05-05-2007, 10:32 AM
http://www.photodon.com/screencleaning.htm
Misty :cool:

JJJJJ
05-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Visit an optician and get a bottle of lens cleaner. Very cheap.
Only needs a quick spray and wipe and you have a clean monitor. I use it on TV and windows too.(That is proper windows not Bill's windows.)

pctek
05-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Use a 1:1 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water and soak it up in a lint cloth and wipe gently across and let it evaporate.
Yep.

50% iso and 50% water.
Thats all thats in most ready made LCD cleaner.

Misty
05-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Yep.

50% iso and 50% water.
Thats all thats in most ready made LCD cleaner.
With the laptop etc switched off and cold !
Misty ;)

trinsic
05-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Visit an optician and get a bottle of lens cleaner. Very cheap.
Only needs a quick spray and wipe and you have a clean monitor. I use it on TV and windows too.(That is proper windows not Bill's windows.)

Thanks for that. I have two 2L bottles of the stuff my brother left behind :lol:

Misty
05-05-2007, 06:55 PM
No! Don't use Mr Muscle. Mr Muscle has a solvent in it. Long use of it might screw up the lcd as it may corrode the outer display

If you can afford, you can use pure isopropyl without water but that might get expensive.
Hi mejobloggs
You do mean "lint-free" !! don't you ? ;)

Just looked at the liquid I have for my reading glasses and it says "contains ipopripanol". Could have saved myself $10 !!!!!! - instead of buying 3M Notebook Screen Cleaning Wipes at DSE <weep> <wail> <knashing of teeth>
Misty :o :o