PDA

View Full Version : Computer specifications to run Windows Vista

symiggy
19-10-2005, 10:50 AM
This is actually a follow up question to one I posted yesterday regarding the various merits of PC vs Mac.
After considering all the facts, and thanks to all the helpful comments I received, I was able to gain a broader perspective, I have decided to remain with the PC environment with which I am most familiar.
The question now arises as to what the specifications of a machine should realistically be in order to comfortably run Windows Vista.
It has been my past experience that Microsoft is usually wildly optimistic as to what resources a computer needs in order to properly run its new, and yet to be released OS.
Certainly this was the case before Win 95 was released as it was the case with Win XP.
Since I really need to replace my computer now I cannot wait for the truth to be revealed when Vista is finally released but I do want to be able to run it comfortably.
As an example I read somewhere that 2 Gigabytes of memory would be realistically needed in order to prevent slowdowns.
In this regard I was wondering if any of the experts on this forum has any prior knowledge or ideas as to just how highly specked the machine should be.
Again my personal computing requirements are modest at most ie:
email, broadband surfing, word processing, basic image manipulation and movie editing, Power Point presentation, and the occasional flight simulator game.
many thanks for all your useful comments and advice.

mark c
19-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Have a look at this. (http://www.apcstart.com/teched/pivot/entry.php?id=6)

Tip: I just put "MS Vista specifications" (w/out quotes) into you know what.:D

Graham L
19-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Why worry? The way they are revising their timetable, you'll be able to buy your third computer from now to suit Vista's requirements. It will probably be called "Windows 3000" when finally released.

bartsdadhomer
19-10-2005, 02:00 PM
Anybody building a machine now in the hope it may run Vista is wasting their time.
(thats not to say a machine built now won't run it, it just makes sense to build the best you can afford for the apps you use now and not for something in the future)
There is no such thing as future proofing when it come to PC's (or anything else for that matter)

By the time Vista is released in the wild, anything built today will be nigh on extinct
ref:"Moores Law"