PDA

View Full Version : dsl modem turns off 3.30am every day

Term_X
18-10-2005, 09:37 PM
hi team

my friend was telling me that his dynalink usb modem (no router included) keeps turning off at 3.30am every day. its a dynalink ael usb modem.

Is there a setting to get into so this can stopped or is it the isp doing it?

He mentioned it to me and ive never heard of such a thing.. im on wireless so dont need to worry about modems, routers etc.

any ideas?

heni72847
18-10-2005, 10:44 PM
first thing come to mind is monitored alarm..
but not sure since u got adsl already..

do u hav a spliter for the whole house or just individual filters for phones?

Dak
18-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Does the house in question have Sky TV?

Tukapa
19-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Hi

Piggybacking a thread here...but...this has just started to me also. Not sure if it is 3.30am or not but both the last couple of nights I have got up and my computer has been shutdown.

As for the sky tv element, does it have something to do with the stupid dial out the decoder does? A technician came around and replaced my faulty decoder the other day and plugged the cable into the phone jack (which had never been plugged in previously). Would this be doing it?

As an aside - why do they tell you that you need to keep that damn cable plugged in? I have unplugged it this morning anyway.

Cheers all.

Shortcircuit
19-10-2005, 04:57 PM
it is possible that it's the Sky decoder. When I had it installed I had problems although Sky denied that it would have any effect.

At the moment the only thing that the phone connection does is send to Sky if you order pay per view movies, but note that Sky have just announced a random number of their boxes will start sending info back on viewer watching habits.

Sky have come right out and said that they feel no need to tell the lucky customers if their box will be one to send the info home to Sky... so much for privacy :mad:

Unplug the phone connection, there is nothing that Sky can do about it.

JJJJJ
19-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Not sure if we are talking about Sky TV or a computer adsl modem. Sky is easy to disconnect. Pull the plug. I found a better use for the phone extension about five minutes after it was installed. Never used it.

THE dse USB adsl modem is powered from the usb connection. Turn your computer off when you go to bed.
The only problem I have with a usb modem is having to wait for the modem to boot every time the computer is booted

pine-o-cleen
19-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Sounds like alarm monitoring to me. I install alarms and we (my company) usually set test signals to go through at around that time.