PDA

View Full Version : SuSE 9.2 Lucent Agere modem issues

SaAB
16-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Have built and installed various versions of the kernel modules, they all act the same, It will dial the number, make all the handshaking noises, sit there and then `time out while dialing` and attempt to redial while the line is still open and then complain of not detecting the carrier(of course). The thing is that I have SuSE 9.2 on my own computer with a Lucent Agere modem working fine (initially problems not similar to described above, new drivers fixed it). Any ideas or suggestions as to a course of action?

Thanks..

Jen
17-10-2005, 06:17 AM
Have you doubled checked the ISP username and password have been correctly entered? It sounds like it is being rejected at the authenication stage. This is not on your SuSE box (which works fine with this modem) but someone elses? It is possible they have the details for their password wrong and it might be wise to phone the ISP and confirm the details.

You should be able to check the dialup logs and see if anymore details are given there as well. :)

Graham L
17-10-2005, 04:14 PM
If it's not detecting carrier, that can be a "location" problem. (In fact, I think that NZ doesn't use carrier). If the modem thinks it's in the US, it might get a bit confused by the different control frequencies, cadences, etc of the NZ phone system.

SaAB
17-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Details are definatly correct, copied directly from mandrake 10.1 on the same machine(which i'm writing from now).
There is'nt even anything about trying to authenticate with the server, but it does definatly do the handshake.
The carrier is not detected simply because it has failed to release the line, first attempt does not complain of this.

Thanks.

Graham L
18-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Get back to basics. ;) Use miniterm to send commands to the modem. "AT" should give "OK". If you don't get that there are real problems. :D "ATDT9999" should dial out ... etc. Send the Hayes command to turn the speaker on so you can hear everything. Dial the ISP, and see if you can make any sense of it. ...