PDA

View Full Version : Video anomilies

willcracker
16-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi. I am getting some strange effects on my monitor screen, When my system boots, instead of the regular splash screen from my bios. the screen is covered with lines of.... snow-like stuff. As windows 2k boots, there are a few blurs in the picture. The desktop is clean, except some of the icons have shadows, And sometimes new windows have yellow lines down them. Am I expiriencing a monitor, graphics card (Radeon 9800 Pro) , or some other hardware failure ? How can I test to see where the problem is ? Thanks, Will

gibler
16-10-2005, 02:44 PM
I vaguely remember something similar with my 9800 Pro.

Check the cooling (i.e. fan etc, heatsinks) on your video card is clean.
You'll need to see that the fan is going while powering the system on.

Also try reseating the card.

Down the latest ATI drivers too and try Atitool (http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/) to lower your meory and clock settings (or check they are correct).

Bestm8
16-10-2005, 09:06 PM
I have something similar with a GeForce2 Ti card. (with WIN XP Pro)
After about 10-15 minutes i get vertical coloured lines blocking the image behind it (sometimes you can make it out) and then after a couple of minutes of that the signal is lost to the monitor. Sounds terminal for the video card???
I have checked the fan is working at full speed, I did notice that the cards CPU temp was around 65 degrees, is this warmer than usual for a graphics chip?
I have also reseated the card.
The CPU temp is around 45-46C

Which is a good brand/ better card (AGP)- only gaming I do mostly is car racing,
Gigabyte/ Winfast and Raedon/GeForce??

Agent_24
17-10-2005, 03:13 PM
A friend of mine had a similar problem with a 9600pro after changing the motherboard bios... we just did a full uninstall of all the ATi software and installed latest drivers.

everything was fine

Oddly enough it was only some icons and the post that was getting corrupted.

subatomicguy
17-10-2005, 09:53 PM
anomaly