PDA

View Full Version : Sata hard drives - some advice

shomenno
15-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Ok so this may sound like i have been dormant in a cave for a while but here goes...

I am building my PC and have the choice between ordering two different hard drives, one is Sata and the other is not. My question is what is Sata, is it worth it? If it turns out to be the choice to go for, how difficult is it to configure, do I just plug it in and no need to worry about jumpers as with IDE hard drives? Finally I also have a IDE hard drive I want o connect - my old one, how would htis mix with a Sata drive also being installed?

Thanks!

Speedy Gonzales
15-10-2005, 07:35 PM
SATA hdds dont have jumpers, and only use Masters not slaves.

So, only one SATA can be connected to a SATA connection.

You can install Windows on any SATA.

Its better, if u use 2000 or XP, and do a clean install for SATA.

And if you want RAID, u usually need 2 SATA's exactly the same / same brand/size etc. And configure RAID in the BIOS.

And u HAVE to install the SATA drivers during the install of XP or 2000.

Some mobos, if u only have 1 SATA, dont need drivers. Just do the same as if the SATA were an IDE, if you're doing a clean install.

(NOTE: The mobo CD usually has the SATA drivers on it). These have to be extracted to a floppy beforehand.

And SATA and IDE will work alongside each other, no prob at all. If both IDE and SATA are onboard.

pctek
16-10-2005, 08:47 AM
And u HAVE to install the SATA drivers during the install of XP or 2000.

Some mobos, if u only have 1 SATA, dont need drivers. Just do the same as if the SATA were an IDE, if you're doing a clean install.

To clarify - all the new boards don't require sata drivers. Only RAID.

Speedy Gonzales
16-10-2005, 08:51 AM
To clarify - all the new boards don't require sata drivers. Only RAID.

OK then, if u say so :D

Shortcircuit
16-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Yep, my new m/board doesn't need Sata drivers... just Raid if you go that way.