PDA

View Full Version : New laptop cant connect wireless

John777
15-10-2005, 10:11 AM
I have a new HP nx8220 laptop. It has periodically connected to new Dynalink router by wireless. If connected and I switch the laptop off, it will not reconnect. Repair says 'Wireless network unavailable' when it is only half a metre away. I have checked settings and still no luck. The last thing that may have made a difference was when I set up the dial up modem for when I go away. I use adsl via the router usually, to connect to the internet.

Could this be a hardware or setting problem?
Any suggestions appreciated?

Graham L
15-10-2005, 01:35 PM
To save power, laptops usually have a switch for the wireless interface. Are you remembering to turn it on? ;)

John777
15-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Yes, the little blue wireless light, and switch is on all the time.

Graham L
15-10-2005, 02:33 PM
It all gets messy, what with the various security options in WiFi. But if it has worked it can work and will work again. ;)

The router and the laptop both need IP addresses in the same local, non-routable range. (192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z) . Often the router will default to (say) 192.168.0.1, so your laptop should be 192.168.0.X (where 2<=X<+254). Do you use DHCP to allocate an IP address or do you use a fixed address? I prefer fixed IP addresses, but that's just me ... I believe DHCP works well.

There might be a monitor utility (on the laptop) which can be run to look for any WiFi stations it can see. Otherwise, there's always ping ... can you ping the router?

Glassman
15-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Just a thought are you letting Windows control the wireless or are you letting third party software control it.What i mean is this my laptop is HP and has a broadcom wireless adapter in it . I have a choice to let the Broadcom software control the wireless part of the laptop or let windows do it . If i leave it up to Broadcom it only works sometimes. But if i let windows look after it it works everytime. I hope this helps you out.

John777
16-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Just a thought are you letting Windows control the wireless or are you letting third party software control it.What i mean is this my laptop is HP and has a broadcom wireless adapter in it . I have a choice to let the Broadcom software control the wireless part of the laptop or let windows do it . If i leave it up to Broadcom it only works sometimes. But if i let windows look after it it works everytime. I hope this helps you out.
Found Broadcom on the laptop. How do I see if this is controlling the wireless, and how do I allow windows to do it?

Glassman
16-10-2005, 09:06 PM
If you go to Start-Settings-Network Connections if yours is the same set up as my HP you will see the Icon for the Broadcom Wireless adaptar. Right click and left click on properties and then left click the wireless networks tab have a look and see if there is a tick in the "use windows to configure my wireless network settings" If there is no tick put a tick in the box and press ok. Once this is done you should be good to go. I hope the above has been of some help to you.

bartsdadhomer
16-10-2005, 09:37 PM
I've just set up wireless networks for 2 customers recently and had problems with both of them.
Both connections were intermittent and weak and would drop off all the time (if they made a connection at all
Finally tracked the problem down to one of those DSE Wireless Audio/Video Transmitters that lets you share sound and images from an audio/video source (e.g. satellite receiver, DVD player, etc.) on TVs located in different rooms in a house, without running cables.
They work on the same 2.4GHz frequency as the wireless adaptors
Both of them had one, and as soon as they were disconnected the wireless connections were stable.
You must disconnect both units though, not just one

Just a thought