PDA

View Full Version : HDD problems

Mr_Rain313
11-10-2005, 04:56 PM
what do u do when u first get a hdd? i set it to slave and windows found the new hardware but i cant find the hardrive in my computer but i can find it in device manager i already populated (what ever that does) but it just doesnt show up in my computer pls help:(

it is a platnium 80 gig IDE hdd 7200rpm i am using windows xp home sp2

Speedy Gonzales
11-10-2005, 05:07 PM
If you're using an extra hdd for XP (If one is already set as master), connect the extra hdd as slave, configure it in the BIOS, then go to control panel / computer management / disk management.

Find the entry that says unallocated, Highlight it / right mouse / format / initialise. Then it'll appear in My computer

Mr_Rain313
11-10-2005, 05:16 PM
If you're using an extra hdd for XP (If one is already set as master), connect the extra hdd as slave, configure it in the BIOS, then go to control panel / computer management / disk management.

Find the entry that says unallocated, Highlight it / right mouse / format / initialise. Then it'll appear in My computer

speedy when i right click on it all i get is new partion, properties and help

Speedy Gonzales
11-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Are u sure you highlighted the unallocated disk on the right??

Not the hdd thats the master?

Mr_Rain313
11-10-2005, 05:23 PM
yeah 100% should i just do new partion or something

Speedy Gonzales
11-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Yup, cant see why u cant. Select it and create a new partition.

Then either format it in NTFS or FAT32.

Mr_Rain313
11-10-2005, 05:47 PM
yep thanks speedy formating now, probally couldnt see it because my pc is F#*Ked lol but just out of interest whats the diff between ntfs and fat32 i did it in ntfs
but anyway thanks for ya help:)

will moving files form programfiles in the master hdd affect anything besides the shortcuts

Speedy Gonzales
11-10-2005, 05:56 PM
No worries :)

Advantages, and disadvantages of NTFS

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/core/fncc_fil_orws.asp

And FAT32

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/prork/prdf_fls_dxob.asp

Move program files from the main hdd to where?? Somewhere else on the main hdd?? It'll be better if u uninstall the program, whatever it is, and reinstall it in another folder on the main hdd, under another name.

It's not a good idea, installing programs on the slave hdd.

Some programs dont like it and prefer to be installed on C. NOT D or E, or any other partition, or different hdd. It may complain.

Mr_Rain313
11-10-2005, 06:05 PM
ok thanks for the links and yeah i was thinking moving to the slave but i beta not
cheers speedy

Speedy Gonzales
11-10-2005, 06:11 PM
No worries :) Umm, yep, I tried that trick once, a while ago, with some program (tried to install it on a separate hdd).

It did NOTHING but complain.

And most folders, you CAN'T just move them somewhere else, as most of the info the program/s install, get entered into the registry, so it knows where to look.

So, unless you know how and what to edit in the registry....

Thats another reason why u cant move folders, all over the place.