PDA

View Full Version : Hardware problem

yazee_m
11-10-2005, 08:35 AM
I was trying to put a new harddrive inside my computer and some how my Power supply just blew.. then I knew that i put the wrong wire in.. So I bought a new power supply and everything went back to normal in terms of the 2 leds at my mother board.. the fun went back to normal too.. but the problem is the monitor is not turning on.. i tried to to turn it on and off several times.. the leds would go green the fun is working the cd drive is working too so what is the problem?? why the monitor is not starting the bios? or anthing..One of my friends told me to reset the bios he told me to take the battery off for a while and put it back in .. but nothing happend.. Can anyone tell me what is the problem? is it the mother board or the CPU?

Myth
11-10-2005, 08:44 AM
Do you have onboard integrated graphics, or a graphics card?

Some more computer specs would be helpful.

yazee_m
11-10-2005, 08:50 AM
No i dont.. I have an eathernet card.. 1 gig ram.. its a 3.2 pentuim p4.. thats it

godfather
11-10-2005, 08:57 AM
Perhaps if you can explain a bit more what you actually did, and exactly what happened?

What do you mean by "you put the wrong wire in"?
What do you mean by "the power supply blew"

What wire did you put, where did you put it etc?

If a major power supply failure was the result, it *could* have taken out other items with it such as CPU or motherboard.

yazee_m
11-10-2005, 09:13 AM
well when i put the power wire inside the harddrive i discovered that is a wrong position so i took them off while the computer is still on. I forgot to turn the computer off then took it out.. so as soon i took it off a spark sound was hit.. and everything shutdown.. so i tried to turn it on but still the computer wont work not even the fan.. all what i could see is a green led that is on. so i changed the power supply. as soon as i did the fan worked and everything else worked except its not running anything like monitor or the bios. I could load and unload the cd. turn it on and off from the power button. but its not booting.. does that help?.. and how would i know if there is something wrong with the pc or the motherboard. by the way i let on for an hour and when i took the fan off the heat sink is warm..so does that mean the cpu works?

pctek
11-10-2005, 09:31 AM
No i dont.. I have an eathernet card.. 1 gig ram.. its a 3.2 pentuim p4.. thats it
You either have a separate graphics card OR integrated graphics. Obviously your monitor plugs in somewhere....

You may have damaged the motherboard.

yazee_m
11-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Do you know any diagnose techniqe to know if the mother board or the cpu is not working?

Graham L
11-10-2005, 12:52 PM
What connectors are on the power cable? If there are 2 separate plugs with wires in one line (maybe marked "P8" and "P9") and you plugged them in with the black wires to the outside, rather than in the middle, you have probably damaged the motherboard.

If there's one two row, connector, how did you ever manage to plug it in wrongly?

Rob99
11-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Do you know any diagnose techniqe to know if the mother board or the cpu is not working?Swap parts out.

yazee_m
11-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Can a fan works if the mother board is damaged?.

yazee_m
11-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Swap parts out.

What do u want me to swap and how?

Rob99
11-10-2005, 01:42 PM
What do u want me to swap and how?Everything one at a time.

Try a different PSU to replace yours, if no different put old one back.
Try a different CPU to replace yours, if no different put old one back.
Try a different MOBO to replace yours, if no different put old one back.
Try a different HD to replace yours, if no different put old one back.
Try a different CD to replace yours, if no different put old one back.
Try different cables to replace yours, if no different put old ones back.
Try a different ...... to replace yours, if no different put old one back.

Get the idea.

Oh if you need to know how I would suggest you take it to the shop.

Trev
11-10-2005, 02:22 PM
The power plug on a harddrive can only go on one way. It just won't go on the wrong way.

Trevor :)

Metla
11-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Of course it can, the plastic gives when forced, and it takes very little force to make it give.

pctek
11-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Can a fan works if the mother board is damaged?.
Yes.

Battleneter
11-10-2005, 04:50 PM
The power plug on a harddrive can only go on one way. It just won't go on the wrong way.

Trevor :)

Your right, but if one tries the wrong way around, it it still easy enough to make pin contact, however usually this will just shut down, the PSU and the PSU will require 10 seconds unplugged for it to dissipate before turning it back on.

Can't see this guy getting help in this thread, it scares me a we bit. I suggest taking it to an experienced Tech to find the fault.