PDA

View Full Version : celeron vs pentium in a server

Prescott
10-10-2005, 10:36 PM
looking at getting a dirt cheap pc, for a linux firewall, and possibly some sort of fileserver. would i notice a great performace difference if i got a celeron compared to a pentium. im looking at getting something that has about 500mhz and 64mb ram.....

tweak'e
10-10-2005, 11:16 PM
at those specs then yes you would notice a difference. as a general rule servers require more cache which is whats missing with the celeron. also put a decent amount of ram in it if your going to run the later linux distro's.

BIFF
11-10-2005, 08:26 AM
looking at getting a dirt cheap pc, for a linux firewall, and possibly some sort of fileserver. would i notice a great performace difference if i got a celeron compared to a pentium. im looking at getting something that has about 500mhz and 64mb ram.....

For that roll RAM, disk and network adaptor would make a more obvious difference than CPU...

Battleneter
11-10-2005, 11:28 AM

Yep more Ram and the fastest disk system you can afford is more important especially if its just for home use, serving a few machines?

If its serving a dozen or so machines then 500Mhz Celeron might be a tad low, just depends on the environment your putting it in.

Prescott
11-10-2005, 04:30 PM
its just gonna be holding smoothwall linux for now. will serve my laptop and the gaming machine. might do other stuff with it so i wanna leave my options open. ill go pentium 3. i will get at least 128mb ram.

thanks for the help