PDA

View Full Version : XP new install SATA no go

BillIrwin
09-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Ok I've built my new puter (Pentium D 2.8, Gigabyte 81955X, 2 x 1GB Geil 533, 2 x 250 GB seagate SATA, XP Pro). I powered it up fine yesterday, all was well, set it up using Intel Matrix Raid with 200 gig as Raid1, rest as Raid0.

All was going well, loaded up other apps this morning. Decided to tidy loose cables etc and close the box up. Must have bumped a SATA cable cause when I booted up Raid said one drive failed - jiggled the plug and it started to repair. But it crashed during repair!! Couldn't rescue that so decided to go simple and just try installing XP on one drive, no raid.

Each time I get partway thru install it hangs with a message that it can't find a certain file - seems to change . It also insists on loading Raid drivers (F6) even though I don't want them.

I just want to flattren the lot and start from fresh - have deleted and recreated partitions but get the same problems.

I'd *really* appreciate some pointers on where to go next

Bill

pheonix
09-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Try re-seating your memory modules. Taking anti-static precautions of course.

BillIrwin
09-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Try re-seating your memory modules. Taking anti-static precautions of course.
hey thanks for the quick reply. This maybe it - during several restarts I noticed it showing less than the full amount of RAM. Have just tried different combos of ram/slots and it is happily loading with one module in. Guess I'll add back the other one once all loaded and see if it was faulty or just not seated right