PDA

View Full Version : Bios Password

Greven
07-10-2005, 03:57 PM
I've got an old compaq with a bios password that doesn't want to go away. I've tried taking out the battery to clear the cmos, but that didn't work & I can't find any jumpers for clearing it. Any ideas on how to get rid of the password?

Morgenmuffel
07-10-2005, 04:05 PM
What model is it, and is there a green jumper near the bios thingie?

Vaguely remember removing a green jumper on a compaq or hp

whoops, and of course you leave the battery out for 45mins to allow the caps to discharge, otherwise the password doesn't reset, I think

Terry Porritt
07-10-2005, 04:16 PM
If, and that's a big 'if', you can boot from a dos floppy, then there are password resetting utilities like cmospwd and killcmos.
These can be easily found via Google. Killcmos will probably be reported as a virus, it isn't, but has BIOS writing code that most AVs think is a virus.

gibler
07-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Some compaqs used to have a ting wee button on the motherboard that you can press.

Otherwise have a look for two solder points that you have to join (say with the head of a screwdriver).

Always best to stop guessing and take a look at the motherboard or system manual.

If you are lucky the key combination that lets you choose boot order (say F10 or F12) and use software to try and wipe the password.

Graham L
08-10-2005, 02:05 PM
"utilities", Terry? real programmers use DEBUG.

Sometimes overnight without the lithium cell is needed. The CMOS memory needs only a "hint" of power to be preserved (unless you don't want the contents to be lost). If you do manage to clear the password, remember to explicitly set it to "disable" or set a new password, and "exit with save". It you don't do that, it sometimes "remembers" that it had a password. :(