PDA

View Full Version : How long would it take to reinstall Windows XP?

ssssss
06-10-2005, 02:52 PM
About how long would it take to reinstall Windows XP if this is ever necessary?

Obelix
06-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Have done a couple recently from restore CD's and they took about 45-60 minutes.

A lot will depend on peripherals and whether XP needs 3rd party drivers etc.

ssssss
06-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Thanks Obelix

SurferJoe46
06-10-2005, 06:42 PM
I think it depends too on the processor speed. I can get a fdisk and clean install in about 25 minutes, getting SP-2 from a cd-rom.

That is, however on only one HDD. If I have to format all the others...it takes days! (4 - 200gig RAID 0+1; 4 - 200gig JBOD; + 40gig OPSYS HDD) :lol:

This does not include all the peripherals other than the printer, mouse/keyboard USB hub and my DSL modem and Router, which have the drivers in XP already.

pctek
06-10-2005, 07:58 PM
Windows + SP if not included in CD + Drivers + configure etc - 1 hour(ish).
Ghost - 10 minutes with all your programs and stuff too.

Big John
06-10-2005, 09:44 PM
About how long would it take to reinstall Windows XP if this is ever necessary?

How long is a piece of string?

Depends on many things. I have one PC were it would take about 45 minutes and yet another that would do it in 15 to 20 minutes. Depends on CPU speed, Memory speed, disk speed, CD/DVD read speed, what the weather is doing, etc.

Best way is to make a complete backup and then if you have issues, format and restore backup. Takes much less time.

Chilling_Silence
06-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Never heard of a quick format?! ;-) Takes less than 2 mins for a 120GB Drive of mine.....

Greven
07-10-2005, 08:57 AM
There are a lot of paranoid people in this world. I laugh at them spending days formatting their many huge hard drives when a quick format would have had it done in minutes.

tweak'e
07-10-2005, 09:12 AM
only catch with doing quick formats is it dosn't check the disk so you can have fat allocation problems (or ntsc ver of it) and sometimes the windows install will pick up on the old data which can screw up the install.

techiekid
07-10-2005, 09:13 AM
yep that happened to me

ssssss
07-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Best way is to make a complete backup and then if you have issues, format and restore backup. Takes much less time.

How does one do this? I think I know how to back up all the files on the computer to a DVD. But I am not sure how to get it started for a reinstall if one reformats the HDD. Just one just put the DVD in the drive and follow instructions, or is there more to it than that?

Big John
07-10-2005, 04:48 PM
How does one do this? I think I know how to back up all the files on the computer to a DVD. But I am not sure how to get it started for a reinstall if one reformats the HDD. Just one just put the DVD in the drive and follow instructions, or is there more to it than that?

Ghost, Drive Image, or some program like that will do it nicely. It saved me twice after a silly accident once and a drive failure on another.