PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning Hard Drive Part 2

Annanz
05-10-2005, 11:54 PM
Would appreciate more of this wonderful community advice. :)

When my new computer arrives with its 200GB Hard Drive, would like to find out if this format below for Partitioning my drives is possible.

10GB Windows (C:)
2GB Swap Files (Z:)
30GB Games (D:)
30GB Applications (E:)
30GB Media (F:)
30GB Media 2 (G:)
30GB Media 3 (H:)
38GB Media 4 (I:)

Not to sure best way to ask this question so Iíll give it my best go.

Read some where that you could only have 4 Primary Partitions are the letters Z,D,E,F,G,H,I Primary Partitions all are they Extended Partitions??? All is C: Drive the Primary partition and Z,D,E,F,G,H,I letters Extended Partitions???

Is it really necessary to have Swap Files on separate Partition because had friend today recommended not have Swap File partition just keep it on the Windows Directory. Like to setup the computer so it will run as fast as possible.

Annanz
06-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Don't like to Bump Postings but my new computer will be arriving in 25 minutes. Would appreciate if someone can response to my question above.

Robin S_
06-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Click on FAQ in the menu bar at the top of this page then go to FAQ #43 and #42. They should answer most of your questions.

somebody
06-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Would appreciate more of this wonderful community advice.

When my new computer arrives with its 200GB Hard Drive, would like to find out if this format below for Partitioning my drives is possible.

10GB Windows (C
2GB Swap Files (Z
30GB Games (D
30GB Applications (E
30GB Media (F
30GB Media 2 (G
30GB Media 3 (H
38GB Media 4 (I

Not to sure best way to ask this question so Iíll give it my best go.

Read some where that you could only have 4 Primary Partitions are the letters Z,D,E,F,G,H,I Primary Partitions all are they Extended Partitions??? All is C: Drive the Primary partition and Z,D,E,F,G,H,I letters Extended Partitions???

Is it really necessary to have Swap Files on separate Partition because had friend today recommended not have Swap File partition just keep it on the Windows Directory. Like to setup the computer so it will run as fast as possible.

Swap doesn't have to have it's own partition. If need be, you can throw it onto one of your other games or file partitions. If your computer has enough RAM, it won't make a great deal of difference.

Games/Applications etc. probably won't like being installed onto a directory other than C:/Program Files. Probably best to have say a 40gb C: partition, and have other partitions for data etc.

Just remember that you don't "have" to partition into lots of small partitions. You could have a huge 120gb partition for music/video etc. if you want. It might make life easier.

FoxyMX
06-10-2005, 12:27 PM
OK then, since you asked so nicely I will share my knowledge and thoughts.

Firstly, this site (http://fdisk.radified.com/) is excellent for learning about partitions so go there and read up.

Secondly, check out the forum's Partitioning FAQ (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/faq.php?faq=pressf1_faq_windows#faq_pressf1_faq_43 ) for some very good advice from one of the forum's experts.

Next, if you put swap file partition into the forum's search engine and browse through the results you will find more info on that subject.

Regarding your proposed partition arrangement I personally would not have four separate partitions for media files. Music and video files hog an awful lot of space and it's a pain having them scattered all over the show. Just have one partition for them, or maybe two at the most if you have to. Make sure you defrag them regularly too.

I don't know whether you plan to put your personal documents and files on a "Media" partition but I would highly recommend that you do so and not use the My Documents folder. This will protect your files from going down the gurgler should your profile somehow become corrupted.

To setup the computer to run as fast as possible you should be checking out pages such as TweakHound's Tweaking Guides (http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks1.htm). There is also another excellent tutorial on the best way to install Windows XP but I can't find it at the moment, unfortunately.

Terry Porritt
06-10-2005, 12:47 PM
More than one Primary partition is only used if you are going to have multiboot to another Operating System.
The space left over after the Primary partition is made, is then usually made into an Extended partition. Then within this large Extended partition, you will make one or more Logical partitions.

Swap or paging file with XP has been mentioned many times in this forum. It has to be there regardless of how much RAM there is. RAM does not replace swap file in XP, though it does in Win9x.

Whether there is advantage in putting it into a partition other than "C" is debateable. However, if you had another hard drive, there could be some advantage in moving it to another drive, as then the drive heads could in principle access that drive independently of the main drive heads, and there may be some speed advantage.
However, I think these days with super fast cpus and systems, it may be a bit academic.

Graham L
06-10-2005, 01:10 PM
It is very definitely a bad idea to make more than a minumum (like 1) number of primary partitions. Make one primary (which will be C, the default Windows system disk) and any more partitions go into an Extended partition.

A disadvantage to having the swap file in your system (C) partition is that when it gets bigger than you anticipated it will fill your system partition (which turns out to be smaller than you anticipated you would ever need). ;) One disadvantage of having the swap in its own partition is that you might waste some space by giving it far too much space. You can't win. (That's called the second law of thermodynamics).

The old reason for having the swap in a different "partition" was that this meant having it on a different physical disk. So access to it was quicker. Having it in a different partition on the same physical disk means extra head movement time when it's accessed.

Since you have a fairly big ( :eek: ) disk, leave some (about 10 or 20 GB?) free (unallocated). That gives you room for some afterthoughts.

Annanz
06-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Appreciate everyone help, this should be my last question. I have installed Windows XP once before, and I remembered that you had the option of Partitioning your hard drive right near the beginning of installing Windows XP.

If I have understand correctly the first Partition you will make will be drive C: (Will make it the Windows Drive) will this be Primary Partition??? Then the other Partitions you make straight other youíre C: Drive Partition will be classed as Extended Partitions???

Just like to double check that I understand everything before going ahead and installing Windows XP on my new computer.

Odin
06-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Quicker and easier to partition inside windows management as you can do a quick format and also choose the drive letter you want to use and name them accordingly. If you do have a alot of media files then one larger partition would be best to keep them all in one partician. or you can make your drive a dynamic drive and then just make the drive partition you want smaller and add to it later using the Unapartitioned space.

FoxyMX
06-10-2005, 05:21 PM
You only get the opportunity to create one partition when you install Windows XP on a fresh unpartitioned hard drive. This will be partition C: so you will have to decide what size you want it at the beginning.

Once the partition is created Windows will ask what file system you wish to format it in. If the partition size is greater than 32GB your only choice will be NTFS but if it is less you get to choose FAT or FAT32 or NTFS. If you wish to use FAT32 you can obtain an updated version of FDISK from Microsoft's website to create partitions greater than 32GB.

After Windows is installed you go into Disk Management to create the rest of your partitions and format them, as Odin has said.

It is recommended by some to perform a full format rather than quick in order to ensure that the hard drive is OK.

plod
06-10-2005, 05:24 PM
What do you plan to do wiyh your "media partions", if it's for video(DV) 30gig's ain't going to be anoth, you will chew through those very fast.
Suggestion, half the amount of media partitions and double there size.