PDA

View Full Version : XPHome: how can I rip MyMusic, MyPictures out by the roots!

braindead
05-10-2005, 06:59 PM
So far I haven't found a way that gets rid of these (now) annoying, seemingly hard-wired folders. If you know of a method that works, please share.

Appreciation and thanks!

Chilling_Silence
05-10-2005, 07:05 PM
rm -rf /mnt/windows

:D

Seriously though, what have you tried doing in Safe Mode?

Speedy Gonzales
05-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Yup, here it says, its hard coded into XP. BUT there's a fix here.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article05-100

braindead
05-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Chilling_Silence...when I entered that string in Start\Run my PC caught fire and had to be put out. :eek:

Just kidding.

Anyway, Run couldn't find rm, so you might be pulling my leg, eh?

Speedy Gonzales...nah - didn't work. XP renames the extensionless file they suggest with *.000, ignoring the read-only switch and lo, those folders reappeared again.

I just found that it's possible to relocate those folders, so that might do the trick.

Renmoo
05-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Just curious, why do you want to delete "My Music" and "My Pictures" folders? Are they a pain to you? :confused:

Cheers :)

braindead
05-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Awww...it's just a thing I have - I'm a control freak :)

Timmy19
05-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Give this a try -->

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\ Explorer] System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\ Explorer] Value Name: NoStartMenuMyMusic Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value) Value Data: (0 = default, 1 = remove folder)...My Music is the same ...

Good Luck! :D

Elephant
05-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Awww...it's just a thing I have - I'm a control freak http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/smile.gif

My Docs, My Pics, My this or that can always be moved.

A difficulty is that when you use a program to do stuff it usually defaults to "My Documents" and under that will be My Music, Pics whatever.

Using Office or any program rather than using "Save" on the file menu you can use "Save as" and put the file where you like and name it what you like.

The "My Documents" folder on my computers is pointed to D:\Data.
Normally though I make subfolders for photos, Music or whatever.

It is only a filing system.

Linux of course will be different.

braindead
05-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Thanks all - perhaps the cure is worse than the affliction :)

drcspy
06-10-2005, 05:46 AM
ms powertoy tweaUI allow you to move those folders..........