PDA

View Full Version : Irispen hand scanner?

JTE
05-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Am interested in purchasing one, is it a good but and is there a better one. Would appreciate some advice fellas. Thanks. John

Graham L
05-10-2005, 02:57 PM
What do you want to do with it?

f you want to scan photographs or text, you should be aware that it's very difficult to get satisfactory results. The first hand scanners sold well because they were much cheaper than flatbed scanners (which cost well over $1000). Now you can get quite good cheap flatbeds.

A motor can move a scanner sensor in a straight line at constant speed much better than you can. ;)

JTE
05-10-2005, 03:45 PM
An easy way to copy out of magazines and books, if the hand scanners still do not work very well then I guess that is the end of it. I just thought Modern Technology would have it beat by now. Any other comments, please.
J

Graham L
05-10-2005, 04:39 PM
I think the main problem is that the human technology haven't been improved. ;)

There's "skew" distortion if you can't maintain a straight line. This is made harder by the curvature of an open book. At least on a flatbed the book can be held still.

A friend uses a digital camera for grabbing information when a book or something is not available to take home to his computer. I think he just "reads" the output, and doesn't try using OCR on it.

JTE
05-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Thanks you've talked me out of it.
J