PDA

View Full Version : Still hateing Zone Alarm

Battleneter
05-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Ok after years of hating ZA I have Downloaded the latest Pro version "again", and have configured it to give it another chance "again".

Even after giving the fullest possible access to DC++(actually StrongDC++), it still lowers the search results by at least 50%. Turn it off and hey all is fine. Other firewalls are fine with a manual port forward. Reading forums other P2P porggy have similar issues.

Am I blind or is there no where to set up a manual port forward? I can't see it anywhere? I would imagine I am being blind.

Battleneter
06-10-2005, 02:21 PM
*Bump*

Oh come on, I have argued with several Zone Alarm fan boys in this forum who insist that it is so great. Now I give it another chance and all of a sudden no one can answer this simple question.

How to set up a Manual Port forward in ZA anyone?

pctek
06-10-2005, 03:07 PM
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/218958

Battleneter
06-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Not sure if this helps just kinda back up Zone Alarm sucks.

Oh well its nukeing time, I will try it again in another few years lol.

Prescott
06-10-2005, 04:21 PM
zonealarm rocks :thumbs: ;)

cant say i use dc so im not sure of the solution, but have you tried to put the program control to low?

SurferJoe46
06-10-2005, 06:17 PM
*Bump*

Oh come on, I have argued with several Zone Alarm fan boys in this forum who insist that it is so great. Now I give it another chance and all of a sudden no one can answer this simple question.

How to set up a Manual Port forward in ZA anyone?

You know, there are some people who can't pour urine out of their boot if the directions were printed on the heel...present company excepted, of course.

I think there might be more to this "arguement/flame" than meets the eye.

Not unlike those who after hearing all the scare stories about monsters under the bed in SP-2 and Windows updates messing up their 'puters and then wait too long to install SP-2, there is always room for a unique experience like yours. It might just be a matter of timing of your installation of ZA that makes your...ahem...problem.

Now.....I am neither agreeing to your dislike for ZA nor trying to zap you for your stand, but I am stating that many (if not most people) get ZA to run just fine in their systems and I am one. I personally like ZA and find it works well and plays with the other anti-stuff I have in my tower.

There is one caveat though: I install it very early on during the spring-cleaning I give to my XP with a full burn-down. I feel that way ZA has a chance to dig in, (if that really makes sense) and get onto a firm footing and be able to establish it's position without any funny business.

I know FOR A FACT that (like SP-2), it helps getting these primary things outta the way and established early-on. Adding ZA or SP-2 for that matter much later on makes it chug and break down and then people have what they think is a blanket condemnation about which they then will complain.

I just don't see it that way. I declare that MY installation of ZA, SP-2 was painless and up and running right this moment.

pctek
06-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Well.......I love ZA. And 99% of the time it is just configuration. But having had a look around the other forums used with DC++ it does have some issues. At least certain versions of it.

So go ahead and get another firewall, not the XP one of course.
Or ditch DC++....

Renmoo
06-10-2005, 09:55 PM
I used to love ZoneAlarm, but ever since installing the Pro version, my startup programs took a long time to load. I am not too sure what is the reason behind this, though. I had tried defragmenting and all sorts of utilities scanning, but no luck. After repeatedly uninstalling and reinstalling, I finally gave up and hop over to Sygate's camp. Now I am happily using SPF Pro version - without paying a single buck, of course :blush: :o :xmouth:

Cheers :)