PDA

View Full Version : Please help. My system tray and "Start button" is gone.

symiggy
05-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Last night when I closed down the computer, all was normal.
Today when I restarted it the boot up process took longer than normal and when it eventually did boot, It went straight to "My documents" window.
There was a list of the folders on the left and I could access the Desktop that way but there is absolutely no System tray ant the bottom right so I cannot tell which programmes are running and similarly no Start" button or the bar in which it usually sits so I when I minimise window, he program gone for good and I have to start the program again to get back in but the window I was working with is irretrievable.
Also since there is no Start button I cannot access all my programmes or the "run" function etc.
Can anyone please help me to get back my normal Desktop with the system tray and "Start" button
I'm getting pretty desperate. :badpc:

Myth
05-10-2005, 10:00 AM
If you hover your mouse at the bottom of your screen, does the taskbar appear. If so you need to disable 'hide taskbar'
You might also wish to try starting your computer in safe mode and running a few scans (spyware, antivirus)

symiggy
05-10-2005, 10:19 AM
If you hover your mouse at the bottom of your screen, does the taskbar appear. If so you need to disable 'hide taskbar'
You might also wish to try starting your computer in safe mode and running a few scans (spyware, antivirus)

Tazz:

Hovering the mouse at the bottom does nothing.
As it so happens I have my computer do regular daily scans with Counterspy as well as Microsoft Anti spyware at the end of the day and last night as usual they were both clean just before shutting down.
Also I happened to do a routine scan for viruses with "Avast!' just yesterday as well as an online scan through Symantec yesterday also completely clean.
I will redo the scans in safe mode and give you my results.

pixeldust
05-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Do you have a keyboard with the Windows key on it? (between Ctrl and Alt)

If you do, and you press this, does anything happen?

symiggy
05-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Do you have a keyboard with the Windows key on it? (between Ctrl and Alt)

If you do, and you press this, does anything happen?
Pixeldust:

I do have a Windows Key.
Pressing it has no effect.

supergran
05-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Open "My documents," and along the top taskbar, look in 'view' and click toolbars and make sure the standard one is ticked. That is all I can think of.

symiggy
06-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Open "My documents," and along the top taskbar, look in 'view' and click toolbars and make sure the standard one is ticked. That is all I can think of.

supergran:

Thanks for the suggestion.
I had in fact tried that earlies but to no avail.
When I got into control panel and clicked the "task bar and start menu" icon, there was no action at all. This led to the inevitable conclusion that windows itself was corrupted ...so I spent the next few hours formally repairing it.
Happily the problem is now solved.
Thanks for your interest.