PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba TE2100

bk T
04-10-2005, 10:12 PM
This laptop was badly infected with viruses/spywares, etc. Did a clean install of XP Pro. Everything went fine after installation was completed. After installing all those application software and AVG & Spybot, I thought it's time to create a restore point since it is running smoothly now. Half way through the restore point creation process, the machine just hung; had to press and hold the power button to shut down the machine.

But, ... this time I cannot wake up this machine anymore!! No POST, nothing happens. Tried to get into BIOS setting but to no avail.

Before that, when starting the machine error message saying something like CMOS check sum error and the system date and time don't hold. After investigation, noticed that there isn't any battery pack.

Suggestions, please!

Cheers

bk T
05-10-2005, 12:37 PM
Can anyone help?

Speedy Gonzales
05-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Get a battery pack?

Or run it by power. Does it boot when u run it from the mains?

bk T
05-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Got a battery pack and inserted it but still no go.

Both mains power and battery indicator lights are on (normal) but still cannot wake it up :badpc:

Graham L
05-10-2005, 02:50 PM
The "CMOS checksum error" is usually caused because the BIOS settings have been lost because the backup battery for the clock and CMOS memory is dead.

That's either the usual lithium button cell, or, on some laptops I have seen, a separate small NiCd or NiMH pack hidden somewhere inside.

But usually, once power is supplied to the computer, you can continue, and the BIOS will hold its settings as long as yoy have power connected. But all manufacturers know they can do better than anyone else, so it's worth a look for a place for the backup battery. ;)