PDA

View Full Version : 2x 512MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM is best?

bizzack
04-10-2005, 09:24 PM
i'm looking to upgrade my memory as RAM seems pretty cheap these days, but I've lost track of technology over the last 3 years...
I've currently got one stick of 512, and was looking at getting either another 512 or going for 1gig... I'm not sure whether I should buy two of 512MB PC3200 DDR400 SDRAM 425 which are each $65.63 from SuperCheapPC or go with 2x 512MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM $160.76? is anyone confused? can anyone help me out? haha thanks!
^_^

Tukapa
04-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Hi

Not really much point buying the dual channel stuff unless your motherboard supports it. Would also check first to see what the limit is on your motherboard but otherwise any DDR 400 ram would be your best bet.

Metla
04-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Dual channel ram is just ram sold in pairs, if you have a dual channel board and buy 2 sticks that are the same they will still run in dual channel, and even with 2 sticks of the same spec but different brand you still have a reasonable chance they will sync and run in dual channel.

However, Dual Channel isn't really anything to get over excited about.

Big John
04-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Dual channel ram is just ram sold in pairs, if you have a dual channel board and buy 2 sticks that are the same they will still run in dual channel, and even with 2 sticks of the same spec but different brand you still have a reasonable chance they will sync and run in dual channel.

However, Dual Channel isn't really anything to get over excited about.

Nearly double the access speed I would disagree with you. I did some tests while I had trouble with my home built PC and it was tracked down to ram. With only 1 stick in it was terribly slow compared to when it was in dual channel mode. I slowed the memory speed down a notch and the problems went away and the speed was still faster than a single channel mode.

My new PC does not suffer the same problem and it really burns in dual channel DDR2.

Metla
05-10-2005, 12:13 AM
There will always be hardware configurations that display different behaviour, aren't you running a fancy raid array as well?

Anyhow, generally it only shows up as a small increase while running synethic benchmarks, Case in point was as the Nforce 2 dual channel buzz was dying down a few manufactuers released stripped down cheaper boards that only ran single channel which benched faster then their dual channel counterparts....

Its something I would suggest people run if they can, but more ram is better...

bizzack
05-10-2005, 12:19 AM
cool thanks!

pctek
05-10-2005, 10:01 AM
i'm looking to upgrade my memory as RAM seems pretty cheap these days, but I've lost track of technology over the last 3 years...
I've currently got one stick of 512, and was looking at getting either another 512 or going for 1gig... I'm not sure whether I should buy two of 512MB PC3200 DDR400 SDRAM 425 which are each $65.63 from SuperCheapPC or go with 2x 512MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM $160.76? is anyone confused? can anyone help me out? haha thanks!
^_^
Whatever option you go for DON'T buy it from Supercheap. They have a BAD reputation.

Barnzy
05-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Whatever option you go for DON'T buy it from Supercheap. They have a BAD reputation.

I'm fed up with people knocking Supercheap / Global comp. It's a small buisness, 3 people I think, low overheads and low profit margin. They will undercut most on price and I have allways found then freindly and helpful. Sure you can go to bigger setups and get better tech support but that's not Supercheaps core buisness. You pay your money and take your choice.

Metla
05-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Its not tech suport people complain about, its missing goods and no communication.

Battleneter
05-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Nearly double the access speed I would disagree with you. I did some tests while I had trouble with my home built PC and it was tracked down to ram. With only 1 stick in it was terribly slow compared to when it was in dual channel mode. I slowed the memory speed down a notch and the problems went away and the speed was still faster than a single channel mode.

My new PC does not suffer the same problem and it really burns in dual channel DDR2.

I agree with you, Dual channel is very touchy and often requires exactly the same ram on most boards. However you can get lucky, but different rated ram will more often than not will cause problems or simply not work together in dual channel mode.

pctek
05-10-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm fed up with people knocking Supercheap / Global comp. It's a small buisness, 3 people I think, low overheads and low profit margin. They will undercut most on price and I have allways found then freindly and helpful. Sure you can go to bigger setups and get better tech support but that's not Supercheaps core buisness. You pay your money and take your choice.
Being small has NOTHING to do with it. Its there nasty attitude when you try to return something under warranty, lack of communication and dodgy customer service.
And what? Because you are cheap its ok to have crap tech support?
I don't think so. But don't come complaining when it happens to you. We just try to warn people before they lose money. So sorry for trying to advise common sense.

Mackin_NZ
05-10-2005, 03:41 PM
I agree with the warnings about SuperCheap PC. You may be lucky and get parts that work and have no problems, but if you do have problems you'll have little or no chance of getting any kind of support or warranty.

There are dozens of horror stories out there about poor treatment of customers by SuperCheap. Buy off Ascent www.ascent.co.nz (http://www.ascent.co.nz), they may not be always the cheapest but their customer service is second to none IMO.

bizzack
06-10-2005, 12:50 AM
a right.. so maybe i wont take my chances with duel channel.. coz I've had bad luck recently... and thanks for the warnings about SuperCheap, I'll steer clear, I'm sick of dodgey computer stores...

Renmoo
06-10-2005, 10:25 PM
... and a few bad apples of RAMs from DSE...