PDA

View Full Version : Invalid page fault

Jaybee
04-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Keep getting the Illegal operation stuff on Win 98se. More info gives me this: -IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in
module MSHTML.DLL at 0167:7ad6db73. I think it is Internet explorer that may be causing it but unsure how to fix it. Didnt there used to be a Explorer repair somwhere on the control panel ?

Also i have win XP on another computer which at present is set up with Fat 32 file system. There is also an option to alter this to NTFS file sysem sitting there on desktop so can you tell me more about it and whether I am better leaving things on fat 32

Myth
04-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Possible reason and solution here... (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q265/2/44.ASP&NoWebContent=1)

You could also try updating IE to include SP1

Mike_SA
04-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Hi Jaybee, the problem you are having is a general problem with 98. It's actualy a memmory issue, some people are just more prown to getting it than others with 98. SE is the best out the lot though, but still , I'd say, re-install explorer, if that doesnt work , backup and re-install 98se, best of all I could sugest is check your memory chips that they arnt damaged, then install xp on that machine aswell. although , Tazz is right , the link provided could just aswell be a solution to your problem.

The main problem with 98 in general is that it doesn't know how to handle it's memmory properly, so instead of clearing out unused items it tends to leave them there , and when something else with lower priority tries to overite you get problems similar to yours. Doesnt happen on a new install , or on an install where the user doent do much but work , but for people like us installing apps for diffirent things left right and center, 98 doesnt run long without issues

Mike_SA
04-10-2005, 08:28 PM
O and as far as NTFS is concerned, Much Much better. Works more efficient, and less defraging needed

Jaybee
04-10-2005, 09:41 PM
thanks for that. Win 98 has only just been reinstalled. I did some updating but I have since your suggestions have gone back to update and installed more. By the way there was one previous update that had not finished installing so that has now been finalised. It now remains to be seen whether these further updates and the completion of the other will fix the problem.