PDA

View Full Version : WinMX's Revival

amyes5
04-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Like many others I'm glad WinMX is back.BUT...can someone explain how this was achieved.I've read all the links posted here over the past days but as I see it the original owner of WinMX no longer has control over it. Yes??? If so who runs it now & how different is it from before.If a simple patch has brought it back to life how come this method hasn't been used before with the other deceased P2P networks? Very plain english explanation please.

Prescott
04-10-2005, 06:07 PM
some of the others have been shut down by other P2P companies, for example sharman networks shut down kazaa lite due to copyright infingments, but then kazaa resurection was made.....

some P2P networks get shutdown by the RIAA
[edit]
some more info here (http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/WinMX_shut_down_following_RIAA_requests)

godfather
04-10-2005, 08:28 PM
In simple language, WinMX was just another method (P2P) by which swapping of copyrighted files was made possible, which in this country (and in most others) is not legal when its downloaded by someone who has not originally paid for the copyright by buying the song or software.

The operators get shut down for allowing the users to continue breaking the law.

So they find a country that turns a blind eye to the problem and start up there.

Its not the software itself that is illegal, just the use. Its legal to own and drive a car if you have a licence, but not legal to use the car to rob a bank or steal CDs from the local music store.

Unfortunately the legit users of P2P that only use it for linux and other freeware file swaps get penalised as well with the site closures, but they probably make up about 0.002% of the total.

Its quite well summarised here, its US law based but not that different:
http://www.stealingisillegal.com/

Ferg
05-10-2005, 11:22 AM
The Recording Industry succesfully sued and closed down the servers run by WInMX. So to get it running again, independent servers have started up.

Put simply, the patch changes the "hosts" file on your system. When WinMX goes looking for its original servers, the hosts file redirects it to the new servers.

The new, independant servers, may not be as reliable, but it's working again, and quite simple in the execution.

I don't know why other P2P haven't used the same system.

Hope that clears it up a bit.