PDA

View Full Version : Homeplug Powerline Networking

moses
04-10-2005, 03:55 PM
hi All,

Has anyone used the Homeplug devices ? and do you know where in NZ one can aquire such hardware ?

Thanks in Advance

M

bartsdadhomer
04-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Type Homeplug devices into www.google.co.nz (http://www.google.co.nz/) and hit pages from New Zealand
There's heaps

Graham L
04-10-2005, 04:15 PM
A Google search for "homeplug" (on NZ sites only) will show a few places with some stocks. The prices look a bit high compared with WiFi, but Dick Smith have a USB adapter at some shops, at about $28 which is a bit more reasonable. Buty it looks as if they are not getting any more.

It looks like one of those "standards" which didn't make it. However, it might have fewer security problems than WiFI. If you're the only one using it, no-one's going to be able to tap in. :D

Ash M
04-10-2005, 04:17 PM
hi All,

Has anyone used the Homeplug devices ? and do you know where in NZ one can aquire such hardware ?

Thanks in Advance

M

Yep. I use them. I got them from Ascent (www.ascent.co.nz).

On the 14mbs max models which are the fastests ones in general release i get about 9.5mbps.

CYaBro
04-10-2005, 05:01 PM
This (http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,39020336,39223887,00.htm) may be of interest to some.

Metla
04-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Matsu****a also hopes to sell refrigerators, TVs and other products with the chip already installed.

What is it with manufacturers and web-enabled fridges?

I have never had anyone say to me "Yeah, beauty fridge, does everything we want apart from surf the net"

Madness, Pure freakin madness. Last time I checked they were just meant to keep our pork fresh so we didn't have to constantly die from food poisoning and have to classify it as evil and unclean so as to stop the dumb slobs eating the rank meat.

Scouse
04-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Hi Metla. While you are thinking about fresh pork and such like - I read this daft piece in a UK paper today.....
NOVELTY pig calendars and toys have been banned from a council office — in case they offend Muslim staff. Workers in the benefits department at Dudley Council, West Midlands, were told to remove or cover up all pig-related items, including toys, porcelain figures, calendars and even a tissue box featuring Winnie the Pooh and Piglet. Bosses acted after a Muslim complained about pig-shaped stress relievers delivered to the council in the run-up to the Islamic festival of Ramadan. Muslims are barred from eating pork in the Koran and consider pigs unclean. Councillor Mahbubur Rahman, a practising Muslim, backed the ban. He said: “It’s a tolerance of people’s beliefs.”