PDA

View Full Version : Athlon 64 or Pentium 4?

zahmad
04-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Which is better, AMD Athlon 64 or Intel Pentium 4? I need something that I can use in my PC, and want it to be compatible to run Windows Vista when it comes out, and reviews have showed that Athlon 64 is faster and cheaper, but Intel has a higher clock speed. Dos the clock speed matter?

Prescott
04-10-2005, 12:07 PM
amd uses a different kind of clock speed, ie a amd64 3400+ is equvilent to a P4 3.4Ghz.

what will you be using your computer for? general internet browsing, emails or games?

yes AMD is ranking higher than Intel at the moment.

zahmad
04-10-2005, 12:16 PM
I am goign to use it for general use, but sometimes playing games like Unreal tournament, Need for Speed Underground, etc.

Metla
04-10-2005, 12:39 PM
AMD is better, and has been for 90 percent of the time since around the time the Athlon 700 hit the market.

Myth
04-10-2005, 12:55 PM
I have only used Intels so far (but then I have only been computing since XP), and although I have had no issues with my current one (2.6 - warranty replacement for a 1.6 that threw in the towel) I know that later ones have had some issues. From what I have been reading, I would have to agree with Metla, for quite a while in the past and who knows how far in the future; AMD would be better value

pctek
04-10-2005, 12:58 PM
AMD rules....

Metla
04-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Not that Im biased... :D :D

http://www.computermedic.co.nz/images/amd-reseller.gif

Chilling_Silence
04-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Im with Metla and pctek also, 64-bit Athlon

Battleneter
04-10-2005, 06:50 PM
AMD64's performs far more operations per clock cycle than P4 , which is the quick technical way of explaining it. Can't compare clock cycles of the two as its Apples and oranges.

Simple old example
Which is faster a 386 DX40 or a 486 DX40, which both run at 40 MHZ. The correct answer is 486 DX40, its architecture is superior.

Pro's to buying AMD64 or P4
*AMD64 run cooler
*Use less Power
*Out Perform P4 in Virtually all games and "some" apps.

Cons
*Run a little slower in some multitasking and apps due to no HT

There is no good reasons to go P4 unless you have very specific apps that will benefit from hyper-threading, but for 95%+ of the general public should buy AMD 64 as they are simply higher performers when compared at the similar pricing levels.

Azrael
04-10-2005, 08:19 PM
I'd go the the Ahtlon 64s anyday over the Pentiums... Plus they run colder than the P4s....

Mike_SA
04-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Id say go for Intel if you going to use more apps than games , but if you game more than apps , AMD. I dont trust the 64bit machines though yet , but I'm sure they will be better in the future. as for Intell , AMD heat ratios , AMD is actualy known for it's intense heat factors , but there is nothing a good cooling system cant fix. If you want to argue about whats better , we can sit here all day. Intel and AMD are in 2 diffirent catagories, Intel is Workhourse, AMD is GameHourse. Although, both are just as good depending on what you need from your machine. Ripping DVD's = Intel , Games = AMD, Office Apps = Intel , Internet = AMD , Lowest Heat = Intel , Over clocking = AMD you get the point.

Metla
04-10-2005, 08:53 PM
How about you do some research before spouting out info that is wrong, misguided and plain bad.

Luckily all the info you will ever need is available at www.google.com

zahmad
05-10-2005, 09:20 AM
Thanks, I'll do some research. Anyone else?

Azrael
05-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Actually I take back what I said before... I really believe that it's about personal choice... You see no matter what you get, it will do the job, whether it's a Athlon or Pentium... Once you look at the big picture, the differences between them aren't very big...
A lot of people will tend to be biased towards the chip maker their pc is based on...
So like the others said... Do your research and pick out which cpu has the best for what you're looking for... But don't get too worked up about it...

Good luck with looking for the right cpu for you. :D

zahmad
05-10-2005, 10:02 AM
What about Dual-Core?

Metla
05-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Actually I take back what I said before... I really believe that it's about personal choice... You see no matter what you get, it will do the job, whether it's a Athlon or Pentium... Once you look at the big picture, the differences between them aren't very big...
A lot of people will tend to be biased towards the chip maker their pc is based on...
So like the others said... Do your research and pick out which cpu has the best for what you're looking for... But don't get too worked up about it...

Good luck with looking for the right cpu for you. :D

Thats true, But takes all the fun out of it.

Personally I compare the performance of chips in the same price bracket, rather then on the clockspeed or model numbers, and Im a sucker for more performance, better tech, cooler, temps at a lower price (AMD)

Battleneter
05-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Id say go for Intel if you going to use more apps than games , but if you game more than apps , AMD. I dont trust the 64bit machines though yet , but I'm sure they will be better in the future. as for Intell , AMD heat ratios , AMD is actualy known for it's intense heat factors , but there is nothing a good cooling system cant fix. If you want to argue about whats better , we can sit here all day. Intel and AMD are in 2 diffirent catagories, Intel is Workhourse, AMD is GameHourse. Although, both are just as good depending on what you need from your machine. Ripping DVD's = Intel , Games = AMD, Office Apps = Intel , Internet = AMD , Lowest Heat = Intel , Over clocking = AMD you get the point.

Woa dude , you a little behind the times. AMD64/FX/Dual core run CRAP LOADs cooler than the Pentium 4 equivalents. There is no difference in reliability these days either as proven in many independent stress tests.

As a foot note the highest end dual core AMD's are outperforming the Intels in both Games and Apps.The AMD FX57 single core is also kicking intel's ass in both gaming and apps. AMD 64 are generally a tad slower in Apps.

May pay to Google a few things before posting info 5 years out of date, and get with the times a we bit.

I am sure Intel will come back (I have owned both), but at the moment its all AMD except for there crappy marketing.

Battleneter
05-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Which is better, AMD Athlon 64 or Intel Pentium 4? I need something that I can use in my PC, and want it to be compatible to run Windows Vista when it comes out, and reviews have showed that Athlon 64 is faster and cheaper, but Intel has a higher clock speed. Dos the clock speed matter?

Seriously, unless you are using specif apps that benefit from hyper threading, the choice is AMD64/FX/or AMD Dual core. Intel are doing well with marketing (as always), but there product is behind AMD, and there is 100's of recent article on the net to back this up.

vapo
05-10-2005, 01:20 PM
:illogical :lol: :lol:

Azrael
05-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Woa dude , you a little behind the times. AMD64/FX/Dual core run CRAP LOADs cooler than the Pentium 4 equivalents.

LOL that's why they call 'em Pres-hots...

Azrael
05-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Look you did say you're gonna use it for general use right? Then you don't need all that fancy FX/X2(dual core) stuff... Just get a decent speed Athlon64 and you're set.... Athlon64s are cheap and will handle Win Vista....

zahmad
05-10-2005, 04:38 PM
I want dual core because I'm planning on getting Windows Vista Ultimate Edition!

plod
05-10-2005, 05:27 PM
I want dual core because I'm planning on getting Windows Vista Ultimate Edition!
You shouldn't be buying Hardware on the fact you want to run a OS that hasn't even been released yet, spec's could change, it's going to be old the time vista comes out in 2006 or was that 2007..
It's like buying tyres for a car I don't own yet
MS isn't even sure on the spec's yet

zky
05-10-2005, 05:59 PM
i had an Athlon chip, and it fried my motherboard...

Athlon is the one to get for Gaming, but you have to make sure that you have plently of ventilation and fans. When i was going around and looking for a motherboard and CPU, the shops said to go to Pentium 4, since i wasn't willing to pay $1000 to set the box up to be able to cool it down properly so i didn't have a repeat experience. A few of the shops refused to stock AMD and would only order it up if the customers wanted it, but AMD is the one to go if you're big on gaming. It's up to your personal preference i guess. I've never had any problems until i went to Athlon (my computer never functioned properly, and it would heat up instantly no matter how many fans i put it so it ended up frying itself), so i'd choose the Pentium over Athlon.

Azrael
05-10-2005, 06:18 PM

Athlon is the one to get for Gaming, but you have to make sure that you have plently of ventilation and fans. When i was going around and looking for a motherboard and CPU, the shops said to go to Pentium 4, since i wasn't willing to pay $1000 to set the box up to be able to cool it down properly so i didn't have a repeat experience. A few of the shops refused to stock AMD and would only order it up if the customers wanted it, but AMD is the one to go if you're big on gaming. It's up to your personal preference i guess. I've never had any problems until i went to Athlon (my computer never functioned properly, and it would heat up instantly no matter how many fans i put it so it ended up frying itself), so i'd choose the Pentium over Athlon.

I've been using Athlons for the last 7 years... Not a problem with them...

Metla
05-10-2005, 06:51 PM

Im pretty sure stupidity runs rampant in the computer industry, i know some machine builders who only use intel and whose knowledge is restricted to Intel marketing, they are also normally under the impression that a Nvidia card is "the wicked" irrilvent of the model and are bunging FX5200 into gaming machines as fast as they can, but only becauise they can no longer source "teh awesome" G4MX.

I also know of a shop that refuses to sell PSU's,they have there reasons, and they equate to sheer dick-headness.

Anyhow, sounds like you had some faulty gear, it should have been fixed under warrenty before it died.

zky
05-10-2005, 07:07 PM
it was 'fixed' twice, but after a couple of weeks of getting it back, it would start playing up again.

Greven
05-10-2005, 07:14 PM
I thought that PIVs ran hotter than equivilent athlons?

vapo
05-10-2005, 09:04 PM
I thought that PIVs ran hotter than equivilent athlons?
Prescott yes, northwood probably about the same.

zahmad
06-10-2005, 09:48 AM
So Ahtlon 64 it is.

Battleneter
06-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Prescott yes, northwood probably about the same.

No No Northwood is a fair bit hotter than AMD 64 as well, but at least Northwood doesn't throttle like High end Prescott's under factory cooling.

Battleneter
06-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Im pretty sure stupidity runs rampant in the computer industry, i know some machine builders who only use Intel and whose knowledge is restricted to Intel marketing, they are also normally under the impression that a Nvidia card is "the wicked" irrelevant of the model and are bunging FX5200 into gaming machines as fast as they can, but only because they can no longer source "teh awesome" G4MX.

I also know of a shop that refuses to sell PSU's,they have there reasons, and they equate to sheer dick-headness.

Anyhow, sounds like you had some faulty gear, it should have been fixed under warrenty before it died.

Yep I see people like this too, nearly every day.

A true Enthusiast/good techy seeks the best product and does not religiously favour one brand ie Intel/AMD or Nvidia/ATI.

The reality is, these company's do take the lead back and forth, and whats best or best value WHEN you need to buy is what is important. I am sure Intel are working hard on there next generations of chips and I would expect them to regain the lead, but for now its AMD.

A great example of this just happened with ATI just regaining the performance crown back of Nvidia with the release of there X1800XT in the last few days.

zahmad
07-10-2005, 08:58 AM
Anyone else?

pctek
07-10-2005, 01:13 PM

How does a CPU fry your board? Rubbish.
And you don't need $1000 for cooling, I've put tons of AMDs of various sorts in all sorts of cases with and without case fans and with and without the stock cooler. Never had one go over 50 degrees.

Sir_Fool
14-10-2005, 04:08 PM
How does a CPU fry your board? Rubbish.
And you don't need $1000 for cooling, I've put tons of AMDs of various sorts in all sorts of cases with and without case fans and with and without the stock cooler. Never had one go over 50 degrees.

Dam straight ... If you want the best bang for buck scenario get yourself a AMD64 (socket 939) 3000+ (stock multi of 9x :P) venice Core (dont get a winchester ... lower O'Cin ceiling!) OEM version (as you wont be using the stock HSF). With preferbly a DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D mobo, 500W+ PSU again preferbly an enermax noistaker, a 1GB D/C RAM kit using Samsung TCCD chips for posting 300HTT :P @ CL 2.5-4-4-7 (1T). Run your cpu @ 2.7GHz (300x9) @ 1.6V - will be prime stable at that speed and under full load will post between 35~40 C if you use a kick ass zalman flower cooler (cnps7700-cu) @ 1250~1500RPM which is pretty much silent :)

Total package will cost ya <$1000 ... but u will obviously need a case, monitor and HDD to complete it!

Peace out ...

Just some words of advice

3cs
14-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Hands down vote for AMD

Have owned a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz with a system bus of 533 Mhz.

Now own an AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 with the same clock speed but a wide open system bus. Makes a difference if you are running multiple applications.

zahmad
15-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Ok, thanks. Anyone else want to comment?