PDA

View Full Version : AMD cool and quiet bios function

shomenno
03-10-2005, 09:49 AM
I have the choice between two mother baords, a MSI K8N Neo4-F or Foxconn NF4UK8AA motherboard.

Both seem very similar, the only differences being the MSI has cool and quiet CPU fan monitoring and speed regulation in relation to temp, while the Foxconn does nto have this function but has an extra PCIe-1 slot (two in total).

My question I guess is related to the amount of difference in noise I can expect from cool and quiet. If it dramatically makes a difference to the sound levels then this would be the better option to my mind.

What do people know about how effective cool and quiet is, reliability wise has anyone heard anything good or bad about Foxconn motherboards?

Thanks Shomenno

drcspy
03-10-2005, 10:18 AM
foxconn .........hmmmm.......i know mr Metla doesn't like them and he's a very knowledgable fellow however I've had one in my 'work' pc, (the one I cart around with me to slave other folks broken pc's to) for about 6 months with out any hassles at all and have done some *cheap* rebuilds for folks on budgets using them as well aint had a complaint yet..............

CYaBro
03-10-2005, 11:02 AM
The Foxconn boards are more for the "budget" class of user while the MSI boards are more for the "enthusiest / overclocker"
I've use both of those boards and not had any problems with either of them.

Metla
03-10-2005, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't use either brand..... :lol:

pctek
03-10-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm agreeing with Metla again - they're both crap.

Greven
03-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Whats wrong with MSI? I was considering using a MSI board in the next computer I build.

JJJJJ
03-10-2005, 11:50 AM

Neither would I.

The "cool & Quiet" is realy a bit of a joke. As far as I can see, it slows down the fan when the comp. cools down. But mine never cools down enough for the fan to slow down.

Anyway the loudest noise I get comes from the hard disk.

Metla
03-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Ive disabled the cool and quiet feature in the bios of my comp, I expect her to run hard and die a natural death, making as much noise as possible while it does so. By the look of the settings in my bios it underclocked the cpu to lower temps and then the fan speed could reduce.

Stuff that, She aint a laptop, Crank it.

My comp is pretty loud due to the hole I cut in the side of it but my speakers are louder, far louder.

bartsdadhomer
03-10-2005, 01:23 PM
ditto.....

pctek
03-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Whats wrong with MSI? I was considering using a MSI board in the next computer I build.
Unreliable for one thing.
I don't like cool and quiet on any board. Why would you want your CPU cooler running slow? So it can cook quicker?

Agent_24
03-10-2005, 04:19 PM
With the Athlon 64, cool and quiet is designed so it underclocks the CPU when it's not doing much, therefore the fan can also slow down as well.

Battleneter
03-10-2005, 08:36 PM

Hehe we agree on something there is a god.

pctek
04-10-2005, 08:24 AM
With the Athlon 64, cool and quiet is designed so it underclocks the CPU when it's not doing much, therefore the fan can also slow down as well.
Underclock! All quite silly really.

Agent_24
04-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Logical if you ask me, if you're away from the computer while having lunch or waiting for a download to finish, is there any point in going full speed and using more power?

JJJJJ
04-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Logical if you ask me, if you're away from the computer while having lunch or waiting for a download to finish, is there any point in going full speed and using more power?

Why not use the "off" button?
I wouldn't trust a computer with fan running slowly unless I was sitting in front of it with one eye on the temp guage.

zahmad
04-10-2005, 11:55 AM
According to Pc world, MSI boards are pretty good, but I wouldn't say they're quiet.

Prescott
04-10-2005, 11:55 AM
and i thought MSI was teh overclockers choice of mobo....

pctek
04-10-2005, 12:59 PM
and i thought MSI was teh overclockers choice of mobo....
Nope:
Abit Fatality
DFI Lanparty
ASUS

Too many failures with MSI

Prescott
04-10-2005, 02:12 PM
DFI that was what i was thinking about, i was getting confused with MSI :confused:

Metla
04-10-2005, 02:16 PM
Lucky we caught you in time then, having those two mixed up could lead to tragic results, especially if you got into a hardware discussion at a Lan....They would probally beat you down with their pocket protectors....screaming N008 111 N008

Prescott
04-10-2005, 02:23 PM
exactly, it would have been a disaster....