PDA

View Full Version : What have i damaged

gum digger
03-10-2005, 01:04 AM
Hi
I took out my monitor (14pin plug) while i was moving my case. while i was trying to put it back i accidently put it the wrong way around and then one of then pin bent slightly , no too much. i straightned it and plugged it in then wat i see. the monitor wasnt displaying the colours properly, it looked like it had greenish/bluish layer ontop of the picture. i plugged my mates monitor and it worked fine.
My monitor is Philips 17" `07/S4colour its only 2 years old.
What have i damaged.
help!:-/

Murray P
03-10-2005, 01:34 AM
PM or email Billy T, he's the monitor guru.

Myth
03-10-2005, 08:23 AM
All pins are straight.. none broken, any bent?

kjaada
03-10-2005, 08:42 AM
Had a similar prob some time ago and found one pin had been pushed absolutly flat
and was very hard to see.I straightened it broke it off in doing so but luckily it still
worked with the stub that was left.

Billy T
03-10-2005, 10:05 AM
You can't actually put it in the wrong way round unless you use great force, because the shell is trapeziodal to make it one-way only.

This means that unless you inserted it "with extreme prejudice" any damage is usually confined to bent pins, but if you don't check them before you insert it the right way round, one or more may be flattened or in some rare cases, forced back into the shell.

I can offer no more advice than previous posters, i.e. check that all pins are straight, and count the pins to make sure none are missing (compare to your mate's monitor). There should be either 14 or 15 pins, some plugs have one missing in the middle row.

If it is stuffed, you have to either find somebody to wire on a new plug, or get a new monitor.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

gum digger
03-10-2005, 11:55 AM
I had forgotten to check my warranty. i cant believe it, im covered. im getting it replaced.

Metla
03-10-2005, 12:01 PM
User error is covered by warranty?

Geez, they are brave.What if you had dropped it out of a window?

Billy T
03-10-2005, 12:18 PM
User error is covered by warranty?

Geez, they are brave.What if you had dropped it out of a window?

I'm with Metla on this one, read the fine print carefully. If you just told them it went greenish/blue then they may be expecting an internal fault, not user error.

Did you tell them what you did? If not, it might be a good idea to call back and do so, because you may get stung for shipping the monitor to and fro if they find it wasn't a valid warranty claim (which you already know it isn't).

No warranty I know of covers damage caused by user error, not even our old friend the CGA, so free lunches may be off this week.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

reefer4411
03-10-2005, 03:56 PM
best buy extended warranty does. knocked a tv off a stand, brought it in eventualy they gave my a new one. (it was quite clear it fell or was droped)