PDA

View Full Version : AVG Antivirus reliable?

zahmad
02-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Is AVG Antivirus reliable enough to be used everyday like Norton Antivirus, and will ensure me the same safety so I can use it everyday without having any other antivirus loaded. Thanks,

Zak

bob_doe_nz
02-10-2005, 07:22 PM
No antivirus is 100% perfect. AVG is ok, it does its job. There are also other free alternatives as well as some other 'Pay' antivirus suites which are just as good or are even better.

plod
02-10-2005, 07:22 PM
yes and it's bad to have more then one av running at a time, antispyware programs are different again the more the merrier,
Norton's bad, AVG good

drcspy
02-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Is AVG Antivirus reliable enough to be used everyday like Norton Antivirus, and will ensure me the same safety so I can use it everyday

lmfao............excuse me but I woulnt use norton if you paid me..........norton misses viruses all the time that avg will pick up.........norton is a system hog and for the money pretty much a waste of your $$ .........so.........no avg wont ensure you the 'same safety' it'll ensure you MORE............if you MUST pay for an a/v get Nod32 it's far superior to norton ................

Oldferix
02-10-2005, 08:50 PM
I have used free AVG anti virus software for three years without any problems. I can recommend this free programme but one must ensure that one updates the virus defininitions daily, to ensure protection.

zahmad
02-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Thanks, I currently use Norton and my Pc has been made very slow, but from all your answers, I will now get rid of Norton and will now get AGV as my Norton has expired (You pay qiet a lot too, while AVG is free!) Anyone else comment?

Metla
02-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Its pretty much crap, it misses a lot,and finds many it can't remove.

Which still makes it a good 300000% better then the curse known as Nortons.

MAC_H8ER
02-10-2005, 09:11 PM
i USED to use avg. until it started to do odd virus sig downloads i left it one day and it downloaded UP TO 650%, a little bit over done aye? this has happend to me on 3 different computers

- Use Etrust EZ antivirus - good stuff

bartsdadhomer
02-10-2005, 09:17 PM
i USED to use avg. until it started to do odd virus sig downloads i left it one day and it downloaded UP TO 650%, a little bit over done aye? this has happend to me on 3 different computers

- Use Etrust EZ antivirus - good stuff

650% of what

Murray P
02-10-2005, 11:01 PM
650% of what

650% of 5/8ths of SFA. SFA is an old, but supposabley reliable, measure of AV effectiveness devised by Symantic. Nortons considers 5/8ths of SFA, the very best in detection rate :rolleyes:

Grab NOD32 if you want real AV.

zahmad
03-10-2005, 10:37 AM
So can I run and keep my computer safe by using AVG Antivirus Free Edition?

tweak'e
03-10-2005, 10:44 AM
as i general rule a free AV like AVG or Avast is fine on a home pc that isn't used a lot on the net.

for heavy users and work pc's a pro ver of a good AV would be a better choice. having said that an upto date free AV is better than an out of date pro AV.

Prescott
03-10-2005, 10:44 AM
yes. it is a good free AV. if you do want to buy an AV buy Nod32, but in the meantime AVG will be good .

Murray P
03-10-2005, 11:00 AM

I think this has been answered pretty fully, over two or three threads, but we'll give it another thrash:

No not necessarilly, far from it,

no AV is guaranteed to keep you safe from viruses, worms and trojans are even more problematic,

as a general rule, you'll be safer with a good paid AV than a free one,

don't rely on just AV software, use a variety of tools, from different vendors but, only ever run one AV app unless you want trouble,

Nortons and to a lessor extent McAfee, are overated. The former being a particular resource hog that Symantic have failed to rectify in several years, says it all really,

you could do worse than using AVG. If you do go that way, back it up with online scans from reliable AV vendors.

zahmad
03-10-2005, 11:06 AM
So use AVG, but back it up with a few online (branded) scans now and then?

tweak'e
03-10-2005, 12:07 PM
So use AVG, but back it up with a few online (branded) scans now and then?
yeah that works ok. tho if you use good practices you don't get infected and other tools such as firewalls will give you a clue that your infected with something if the AV misses it.

Pato
03-10-2005, 04:03 PM
yes. it is a good free AV. if you do want to buy an AV buy Nod32, but in the meantime AVG will be good .
I am using NOD32 but am wondering if the cost is worth it or would AVG be just as good?

Murray P
03-10-2005, 04:44 PM
I am using NOD32 but am wondering if the cost is worth it or would AVG be just as good?

N+O spells NO.

If you've got it and are happy, and why wouldn't you be happy with NOD, stick with it. It's pretty cheap anyway and very good value for money.

Pato
03-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Thanks for that confirmation Murray. Will do as you say and stick with it.

Battleneter
03-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Excellent, another thread I can bash Nortons in.

I would rather have half the viruses than run nortons on my machine, as they will slow your computer down less. Nortons AV = Complete slow down pig of a program.

I Have used AVG for over a year and never had a problem. I don't believe it is the best but its free, it works, and it doesn't hijack your PC.

Murray P
03-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Thanks for that confirmation Murray. Will do as you say and stick with it.

:)

For some reason, Nortons reminds of the old Jethro Tull song, Thick As A Brick. Go figure!!

zahmad
04-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks, so AVG is a better Antivirus than Norton? Just making sure. :confused:

Prescott
04-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Thanks, so AVG is a better Antivirus than Norton? Just making sure. :confused:
yes

drcspy
04-10-2005, 11:54 AM
its free it's less resource hungry and it finds stuff that norton misses........make you own judgement.......

zahmad
04-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks, I'll make the change right awat!

Odin
04-10-2005, 12:42 PM
NOD32 is great. For the past year i have been using NOD32 on my main machine and Nortons on the other to see which works best. Nortons has slowed my other machine lots and it is always missing viruses that NOD32 catches without fail. IMHO nortons is an expensive waste of money, time, effort, security and performance. :D

Myth
04-10-2005, 01:18 PM
IN my own personal experience, as well as fixing others computers... I would say that Nortons is highly overrated, and in fact quite a few viruses will shut Nortons down rendering it useless (not to say the same doesn't happen with others, it just seems to happen more with Nortons)

AVG is quite good for a free AV, if you ever look buying an AV I will put in a bid for BitDefender Pro (7 was excellent, although 8 seems to have gone downhill a bit), or Kaspersky Pro

MyHost
04-10-2005, 01:32 PM
Norton Antivirus was lucky to find itself in the position of "default" anti-virus software a while back, in much the same way as Internet Explorer landed the job of web browser, Office as the office suite and Outlook Express as an email client. Often people don't realise there are better (even free) alternatives.

I'd definitely recommend Avast (http://www.avast.com), or NOD32 (http://www.nod32.co.nz) for a paid option. AVG seems to have a good following too, there seems little between Avast and AVG - maybe worth checking them both out?

Edward
04-10-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm actually on the other side- I use Norton AV on all 3 of my computers and it's fine (No noticable slowdown on a 233/32mb 98se box, or any others). Granted it's on older version (Corporate 7.6) and dosen't have any "bloat", but it still is better than nothing

Prescott
04-10-2005, 03:41 PM
you could swap over to linux and be free for viruses for a while, wont be too long until there are some serious viruses present in linux....

zahmad
05-10-2005, 09:24 AM
I don't trust norton, as it is resource hungry, and when I had it on, my computer got infected and screwed up, although it was Windows ME!

drcspy
05-10-2005, 09:28 AM
lol that wasn't a virus it was ME itself haha

zahmad
05-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Anyone else?

pheonix
05-10-2005, 10:41 AM
Free ones.. AVAST or AVG

Pay ones.. NOD32

I'm inclined to lean toward Avast, as it has some Anti-spyware functionality as well.

Barnzy
05-10-2005, 10:50 AM
I have been using AVG for a couple of years now. It runs in the background like a good AV should and it updates itself every day. I hardly notice it. Occasionally I run an online scan and have to admit I get quite despondent at finding I have no Trojans, Viruse or any other malicious little nasty in there. I feel left out.

tweak'e
05-10-2005, 10:54 AM
if your useing win9x/me then i would use AVG over avast. unfortunatly i found avast had a few flaws mainly due to its old school localhost type email scanner and web scanner.

mind you the paid AVG pro is not to bad. quite a resonable price to.

mark c
05-10-2005, 11:03 AM
I have been using AVG for a couple of years now. It runs in the background like a good AV should and it updates itself every day. I hardly notice it. Occasionally I run an online scan and have to admit I get quite despondent at finding I have no Trojans, Viruse or any other malicious little nasty in there. I feel left out.

LOL Yes me too. I run AVG, Spybot S&D, AdAware, ZA home, Firefox and CCleaner and I never have any problems. (And I'm not a totally 'responsible ' user.)

I look forward to fixing up friends' computers for the exercise. :D

Battleneter
05-10-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm actually on the other side- I use Norton AV on all 3 of my computers and it's fine (No noticable slowdown on a 233/32mb 98se box, or any others). Granted it's on older version (Corporate 7.6) and dosen't have any "bloat", but it still is better than nothing

I would almost stake my life on it that you haven't given other antiviruses a good run, hence you don't realise how much of a hog Nortons is.

Try AVG for a few weeks, then go back to using Norton's, I will be very surprised if you don't notice a substantial difference. Most people that have experienced this end up hating Nortons. I have nothing against the company at all, but there Antivirus is a pig, until you try it yourself you will never realise.

Metla
05-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Hmmm

Just fired up a comp that is in because it wont connect to the net.

Its an old Compaq, AMD 500mhz cpu,64 mb ram with 8mb allocated to the display.

Thanks to a recent trip into DSE its running XP Pro (upgrade) and Nortons 2005, he also wants the office upgrade he purchased installed.

How many hundreds wasted on a system that cant run it properly?

Rob99
05-10-2005, 12:51 PM
I run Nod32, Windows SP2 Firewall, and sit behind a NAT router/modem. Once every couple of months I may do a scan with HJT but it has yet to find any nasties.

Nod32 is the best, lightest and fastest protection out.

Nod32 just stops any badies dead. Generally due to my bad habbits I get bugs come to my computer, not one of them has ever had a chance.

I have installed Nod32 to many computers, it will remove virus from restore points and the recycle bin, which I believe no other anti-virus will do.

Battleneter
05-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Hmmm

Just fired up a comp that is in because it wont connect to the net.

Its an old Compaq, AMD 500mhz cpu,64 mb ram with 8mb allocated to the display.

Thanks to a recent trip into DSE its running XP Pro (upgrade) and Nortons 2005, he also wants the office upgrade he purchased installed.

How many hundreds wasted on a system that cant run it properly?

Excellent, have fun with that. No dobut he has heard how great Nortons is and won't change hehe.

Metla
05-10-2005, 01:11 PM
I've turned my back on it, Having coffee instead.

Deciding whether to get the owner in and have a talk to them , money would be better used going towards some new hardware then having me charge an hour of my time waiting for it to boot, She will still be near unusable.

And I would say as his Nortons is brand new he will want to get some use out of it....

Rob99
05-10-2005, 01:46 PM
In NZ you have about one or two months to decide on Nortons or ask for a refund. Refund is as easy as a phone call to them, as long as you have the Nortons account details. I have done this many times without a hitch.

drcspy
05-10-2005, 03:49 PM
having me charge an hour of my time waiting for it to boot.........ROFLMFAO..........yep yep yep........omg.....what silly idiot decided that 'upgrade' was a good idea..........that's like putting a truck body on a mini

zahmad
05-10-2005, 04:34 PM
So free AV it is AVG and paid is NOD32!

Rob99
05-10-2005, 06:14 PM
So free AV it is AVG and paid is NOD32!
yes

johnd
05-10-2005, 08:55 PM
you could swap over to linux and be free for viruses for a while, wont be too long until there are some serious viruses present in linux....

As I have said before, I believe that the above statement is a falicy. Worldwide about 33% of all servers are Linux and about 70% of web servers run Apache mostly on Linux. The point that Linux is around much more than we realize. If viruses were going to make their presence felt in the penguin world, it would have already happened. The reason this hasn't happened - Linux is a more secure system and runs in a more secure manner. For example:
1.you don't see Linux help telling you to login as root to solve delays in printing (there is a MS site telling you to login as Administrator to solve this problem in NT/2k/XP).
2. Linux does not create new users as root with no password - with the user then browsing the web in a vulnerable manner!