PDA

View Full Version : SP2 Update CD

Linz53
02-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Just finished a complete reinstall of my OS (XP Home) and decided it was time to use that SP2 CD I've had sitting on a shelf for a while....Problem is as the pc copies the files, it stops to tell me that a particular file is corrupt, and then promptly closes...no SP2 update ! I tried it several times and in 2 different optical drives...same result with an unused cd ?
A similar occurance when reinstalling XP, but was able to retry and carry on.
I have scanned for every known virus/trojan etc and came up with a clean bill of health, could it be my hard drive ?
Any (almost) suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers Linz.

Jen
02-10-2005, 09:19 PM
What made you do a reinstall in the first place? Anything that could be attributed to your current problem? Is it the same file it reports as being corrupt each time you try to install SP2?

Linz53
02-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Hi Jen, lots of error messages, in fact every start-up (the most recent being Generic Host Services...) that particular message every start-up of late..
I had been told that after a couple of years intensive use the OS can get clogged, so I had the time..also my vendor felt I had a virus deeply embedded somewhere...After the reformat/install I ran anti-virus, spyware, trojan etc software...came up clean so I proceeded to start installing some of my progs, and decided it was time to look at SP2...incidentally, since my post I had a lock up and couldnt do a restart, had to power off, I actually sent the report to Microsoft, and their (instant) reply was device driver problem...But that said, it may have nothing to do with my original prob !

i suspect a drive problem...

Linz
By the way, the pc has been running sweetly and quite fast despite all this?

Linz53
02-10-2005, 09:51 PM
Ooops ! not 100% sure if it was the same file, but to hazard a guess, yes I think so.

zky
02-10-2005, 10:19 PM
i had a simular problem where i tried to load SP2 via the disk, but it kept coming up with a corrupt file, and stalling so i had to reload windows back on again as it completely messed it up :mad: . I ended up just downloading it from the net, so maybe you will have to do that if everything else is working ok now, and there's no viruses or trojans on your computer.

Linz53
02-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Mmmm. a long download on dial-up, but you may be right.
Thanks zky.

bob_doe_nz
02-10-2005, 10:59 PM
You do not need to download SP2 all over again from MS
Alternative NZ Link (http://files.inspire.net.nz/index.php?category=4&title=Patches)

zky
02-10-2005, 11:09 PM
no worries :) i hope you get everything up and running again

Linz53
02-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Cheers Bob, but why would a Microsoft cd be corrupt in the first place...or is it my pc ?
Buggered if I know !

Prescott
03-10-2005, 09:38 AM
some cds just happen to be corrupted, might happen due to poor quality disks or when the actual data was written on the disks....

zky
05-10-2005, 05:14 PM
just wondering, did your computer play up once you downloaded SP2? i've just had to do a system restore as everything stopped working when i downloaded sp2. The only thing that would work was the games. I couldn't use windows explorer, and it wouldn't even look at the programs that connect to the internet. Even after the system restore IE still plays up and firefox won't even open up before i get an error message. It was all working fine before SP2. I had trouble loading on XP, but i finally got it installed without any error messages and SP2 downloaded without a glitch from the net so did you have any problems with it?