PDA

View Full Version : finding the owner of a wireless network

bartsdadhomer
02-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Recently setup a wireless network at home
I've found 3 networks, 2 secured and one open
I can hook into the open network and surf away quite happily (yes I know)
Question is, without using a packet sniffer how do I find out where the open connection is to let him know he is unsecure

I've been round most of the neighbours but no luck so far
I'm in a smallish town and there are no businesses nearby so it must be a homeuser.
I'm on a hill so the signal could be coming from a fair way away and there are probably over 100 houses all around me within range

Network name is 'Apple Network'
Anyone know which router uses this SSID as default?

Graham L
02-10-2005, 02:01 PM
It might be an Apple Macintosh user. :).

bartsdadhomer
02-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Yeah that was my guess, but how do I find them without resorting to methods that might get me a few months as someones b***h

Metla
02-10-2005, 02:12 PM
Download 24 hours a day for a month, should hit his cap and trigger some alarm bells.

Or if he is uncapped at some stage he may check his usage.

At the end of the day your doing him a favour.....hell, you say its a small town? half the population are probally surfing for free....

beama
02-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Just an idea
have you tried "net send" (if using xp) and send a message to one of the machines see if that works or maybe a notice in a communty flyer about the traps of having unsecured wireless network

stu161204
02-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Just an idea
have you tried "net send" (if using xp) and send a message to one of the machines see if that works

I donít know if Apple Macintosh users can get those messages, can they?

stu161204
02-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Recently setup a wireless network at home
I've found 3 networks, 2 secured and one open
I can hook into the open network and surf away quite happily (yes I know)

I would love to have one of these around my neck of the woods :D, but lucky I donít think we have any in range :(

drcspy
02-10-2005, 04:19 PM
if they have file and printer sharing enabled maybe you can 'plant' a nice little notepad file on their desktop for example saying 'hey mate ............' etc.........?

plod
02-10-2005, 05:22 PM
1) don't worry about it
2)cancell your internet connection

drcspy
02-10-2005, 05:24 PM
hehehehehe

Speedy Gonzales
02-10-2005, 05:28 PM
This may tell you

http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/

According to download.com a shareware site, it says this.

AirSnare is an intrusion detection system to help you monitor your wireless network. AirSnare will alert you to unfriendly MAC addresses on your network as well as to DHCP requests. If AirSnare detects an unfriendly MAC address, you have the option of tracking its access to IP addresses and ports or of launching Ethereal.