PDA

View Full Version : TCP connection limits

Ollie123
02-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Hey people,
Most of you will probably know about the tiny connection limit that comes with SP2 in windows XP.
I have got a patch that increased the limit from 10 to 50. Although this increased the time I could spend online at one time, I still have to reconect every time the limit is reached, about every 3-4 minuite which is really frustrating.

Does anybody know a way to increase the limit or somehow solve this annoying problem?

Thanks

tweak'e
02-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Although this increased the time I could spend online at one time, I still have to reconect every time the limit is reached, about every 3-4 minuite which is really frustrating.

there is no such time limit.

if you have dailup then check the auto disconnect settings.

otherwise i suspect your infected with something.

drcspy
02-10-2005, 04:26 PM
you could also do a google for 'keep alive' programs which are designed to 'surf' the net in the background and get a webpage or webpage header so that the isp 'thinks' you are surfing even when you are showing 'no activity' such as when you are downloading ..........can help to keep you online

Battleneter
02-10-2005, 05:01 PM
I am not away of these limits either. What app are you refering to exactly?

I mean what app are you using, and what problems are you having?

Ollie123
02-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Just type TCP connection limits into google, or something simaler and there are plenty of links for info on how SP2 has a connection attempt limit of 10.
eg, www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497.

I am using Internet explorer as a browser.
TCPIP.SYS is the locked file that tells the network that it has reached its connetion limit and allows you to do nothing until you reconnect to the internet.

Thanks

bartsdadhomer
02-10-2005, 10:29 PM
I think you're getting a bit confused
What you're talking about has nothing to do with the upstate of your internet connection.
If you're getting disconnected all the time you have other issues.

tweak'e
02-10-2005, 10:35 PM
your the first that i've seen to complain that their internet DIES because of the 10 connection limit. most just complain that certain programs run slow.

what sort of internet connection do you have ?

what modem/router etc do you have?

what antivirus, firewall and antispyware progs do you use?

vapo
02-10-2005, 11:23 PM
With the connection limit thing, mine is set to unlimited and it works fine, 2mbit P2P glory.

http://www.lvllord.de/?url=tools#4226patch

Also you can use nLite to do it like I did.

Ollie123
03-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Hey,
The connection doesn't actually disconnect but the pages refuse to load.
I am on a 56k dial up.
Shall try this patch now, thanks people :o

Big John
03-10-2005, 11:10 PM
Just type TCP connection limits into google, or something simaler and there are plenty of links for info on how SP2 has a connection attempt limit of 10.
eg, www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497 (http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497).

I am using Internet explorer as a browser.
TCPIP.SYS is the locked file that tells the network that it has reached its connetion limit and allows you to do nothing until you reconnect to the internet.

Thanks

I think you are very confused about it. You put the link in but did you actually read it? It says that it limits it to 10 connections per second. So 1 second you can attempt to make 10 TCP connections, the next second you can attempt 10 more, etc. It will not cause you modem to diconnect or the link to lock up in any way. I have a 2MB connection and if it was so I would need to be disconnecting the same as you.

I think you have something else as others have said.