PDA

View Full Version : Windows Me freezing on startup and shutdown

rogsv8
02-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Hi guys....i'm basically a novice only with computers,and use it mostley for the Net,problem is my computer has recentley been freezing up every other time on startup,just after the Windows Me logo appears,and i get just a blue screen,and the harddrive itself sounds like it is struggling at this time.Also now it is not shutting down every other time as well...you guessed it frozen blue screen.
I have Norton antivirus 2005,and is updated regularly,the latest free Zonealarm,and Adaware,i do Scandisk and a Defrag every other month,and a clear out of cookies and Temp Internet folders

Any help much appreciated
Rog

bartsdadhomer
02-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Go start run and type msconfig press enter
Under the startup tab untick all entries and reboot
Does this make any difference?
If it does, go back in and retick each entry until the problem reoccurs and you have found the culprit
Also download CCleaner and run it
Make sure you use the registry cleaner that comes with it as well
Say yes to a backup when prompted

More info on CPU speed, Amount of Ram etc would help
ME is a dog on some hardware and it may be a faulty Ram stick, Power Supply, capacitor, video card, failing hard drive etc
It will be a process of elimination I'm afraid

rogsv8
02-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Cheers for that,i'll try what you said......i do have 128.0 MB of RAM,and system resources are 40% free,i don't know how to tell what the CPU speed is...
Rog

bartsdadhomer
02-10-2005, 11:48 AM
CPU size
Go start > run type in dxdiag press enter
After a minute or so a box will appear and your cpu make and size will be displayed in the list of info on the first page along with the amount of Ram etc

40% free isn't much I'd say there is far too much loading at boot time
Most of it will be unecceassary
Nortons will be hogging most of it, it's very resource hungry
Without going into the pros and cons of Norton products I'd suggest another 256Mb Ram if you want to keep Nortons 2005

Or it should be displayed when your machine boots up

beama
02-10-2005, 12:14 PM
40 % ouch, should be up round 80% my 98 machines run at 92% free (128 Ram) and they have firewall and antivirus, do as suggested check msconfig, also start......... programs......... startup folder...... delete items there
Try this (http://www.putergeek.com/win98_file_system) and select network server as typical role (it will give you some more system resources)
also do spyware scan using your favorite spyware scanner.
how many icons are showing down by the system clock on the task bar.

Nortons although having a good (in some ppls opion) repurtation is a resource hog.

rogsv8
02-10-2005, 12:18 PM
I don't see anything that says 'CPU' following the 'dxdiag' instructions,but it has a Intel pentium3 processor 800mhz,alos,there are 5 items by the system clock,not including internet item(sound,scanner,printer,zonealarm,antivirus,int ernet connect)

bartsdadhomer
02-10-2005, 12:56 PM
CPU & processor are same thing
You have an Intel P3 800MHz

beama
02-10-2005, 02:18 PM
scanner can go, look in the startup folder or mscofig as bartsdadhomer suggestion. I would look at the printer also depending on brand and model mostly this is just monitoring software.

But 5 items is not much, I would be looking for a virus or spyware at this stage.

Download a2 (a squared) free, stinger and run them, they are stand alone utilties for detection of trojans and other such nasties. Even though Nortons is up to date things can still slip past. Lastly if a nastie is found dont forget to clear out the restore points in ME as the nastie often hides in there waiting for the next restore although A2 is able to scan and clean in there

drcspy
02-10-2005, 04:22 PM
download and run some app like say aida32 which should give you system temps could be you got dust build up or similar............

rogsv8
03-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Cheers guys,i got rid of a bit of stuff(scanner etc),and have got system resources 56% free now,maybe NAV is taking up a huge chunk,i'll run the A2,and stinger,and try aida32...and see what happens
Rog

bartsdadhomer
03-10-2005, 09:02 PM
maybe NAV is taking up a huge chunkRog
Understatement of the year
NAV will be hogging at least 30% of available memory
Biggest favour you could do yourself is dump it for something less resource hungry or increase your Ram by 256Mb to 384Mb

user
04-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Your computer sounds like it is about the era of mine. I upgraded my Nortons to the latest version and it slowed so much that I took it off and switched to AVG. I recently had problems with the shutdown not completing (previous thread) and the last change I made was upgrading ZA. It was suggested that this has caused problems with WinMe so I uninstalled it and reinstalled the previous version. Problem appears to be solved for the last week. Worth a try.