PDA

View Full Version : Win XP Home and Duplicate User folders

pctek
02-10-2005, 09:06 AM
Why can't you do a Repair install on Home only Pro?

I had a client who had a non-boot problem with XP Home - the shop reintsalled WIndows over itself. It left the usual duplicate user folders, in fact his main one there were 3 of them.
The original had all his docs and pictures etc and he was unable to access them. In fact you could not view the contents of the original User folder at all.

Logging in as Administrator made no difference, connecting the drive up as a slave on another system made no difference. You would get Access Denied.

Not a problem, I retrieved his stuff with DOS.

But how do you avoid that duplication of the user, admin etc folders in the first place if you have done that sort of install on it?
I do a Repair with XP Pro or retrieve users data then format and reinstall if its XP Home but perhaps theres a better way?

beama
02-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Interesting, did the shop, check their work, guess not.

I use knoppix and a usb memory stick for data recovery, the advantage with knoppix it can access NTFS partittions.
Just have to adjust the permissions on the usb stick so that you can write to it.

I have recovered what was considered lost data from many currupted systems using this method, before the last resort repair, reinstall.

Metla
02-10-2005, 10:37 AM
At the end of the install process when it comes time to create or re-create accounts click skip instead....

pctek
02-10-2005, 12:36 PM
At the end of the install process when it comes time to create or re-create accounts click skip instead....
Is that all it takes? WHy do so many places make a complete mess then?
And why is Repair not a working option for Home? I have used it on Pro and its great but not home.

Metla
02-10-2005, 01:22 PM
I dont quite follow you there, What part of repair is missing from XP Home?

At teh start of the install you get asked if you want to repair and if you select yes then you are bounced into the Recovery console.

If you select install then it will scan the system for an installed OS, if it finds XP it will ask if you want to repair it, if you select yes it will go ahead with the "dirty" install.

If you select no it will ask if you want to install to the exsisting Windows dirctory or 2 a folder you nominate.

If you have selected to use the exsisting Windows directory it will go ahead and delete the entire contents before installing.

Both Home and Pro follow the same install/re-install procedure, though if the exsisting install is munted really really bad then neither will find the installed OS and just move foward without giving you the repair option.

bartsdadhomer
02-10-2005, 01:48 PM
And why is Repair not a working option for Home? I have used it on Pro and its great but not home.
Always available for me, have another look

pctek
02-10-2005, 04:01 PM
I dont quite follow you there, What part of repair is missing from XP Home?

At teh start of the install you get asked if you want to repair and if you select yes then you are bounced into the Recovery console.

If you select install then it will scan the system for an installed OS, if it finds XP it will ask if you want to repair it, if you select yes it will go ahead with the "dirty" install.

If you select no it will ask if you want to install to the exsisting Windows dirctory or 2 a folder you nominate.

The couple of Home PCs with stuffed windows I have fixed wouldn't. Possibly because of what/how it was stuffed? Perhaps that was why?

Yes not counting Recovery Console, then you choose install as you say. At which point supposedly you get the choice to do the REPAIR install or normal install (where you can go over it or not)
But thats where I haven't been given the option of Repair. Ever. So I assumed that you can't on Home.

WIth some Pro that I have fixed it has had the Repair option and gone ahead and fixed whatever but without even asking about the user folders or such.

pctek
02-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Always available for me, have another look
Hmm, perhaps the nature of whats stuffed then, not enough of XP left for it to do it maybe....

drcspy
02-10-2005, 04:18 PM
cant quite comprehend ya..........when I"ve done a repair install, and I've done a LOT of them, it hasn't duplicated the user names that i remember noticing.........however i AM in the process of consumin some bourbon so if i'm wrong in my memories dont be too hard on me k ;-)

anyway heres a thought........how about .....using the 'file and settings transfer wizard' to 'save' the files/setttins of the 'new' user profiles to say a folder on the desktop the import them to the 'old' user ?

pctek
02-10-2005, 06:58 PM
To clarify:

I have seen (not done myself) XP where some shop or someone at home has reinstalled XP without deleting the current one first.
They end up with something like this under Documents & Settings:

Administrator
Administrator.Windows
All Users
All Users.Windows
Default User
Default USer.Windows
"Username"
"username".windows

(or Username.000 or similar.)

The current one being the Username.windows. Its messy but the persons docs located under the original Username are accessible.

Usually.
I had one where they weren't. In fact there were 3 of those username folders, with various names.
Anyway no worries, got his stuff off via DOS.

The second (not really related to this) thing is that when I myself have had to do a reinstall/repair whatever, I have never yet been given the option to do a Repair install on XP Home. Only those I have done with Pro on it.
Admittedly I haven't needed to use it often, usually Recovery Console was enough to get it up and running again.

I wondered if it was something about Home itself or just perhaps how knackered the original XP was.
I'd say, from your replies, its just the current XP Home was too corrupted or bits missing for the Repair option to work so I wasn't given the choice.

Anyway, I'm clear on it now thanks, even if you guys are now confused.