PDA

View Full Version : Which xp?

Mcpisik
02-10-2005, 07:53 AM
Hi
2 easy questions...
What's windows xp for x86 systems as compared to xp for x64 systems?
(From the ascent site...)
I have xp pro on my notebook and am wondering if its best to go pro on my desktop to match? Does it matter? I have an adsl router that they both connect to, but otherwise no related needs such as business work.
Thanks for the help!
(do oem xps come with the cds?)

Speedy Gonzales
02-10-2005, 08:56 AM
XP x86 would be for normal systems??

Like Intel based / 32 bit systems?

x64 would be for 64 bit systems? So, unless u have a 64 bit mobo / system, there's no point in getting this.

Nah, I dont think it matters what version of XP you get, home or pro.

They're basically the same, just a few extras in pro, that most people wouldn't use.

I think the OEM versions of XP, do come with cds.

You usually have to buy some kind of hardware to get an OEM version.

SurferJoe46
02-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Personally, I use Pro because it has the ability to encrypt files and then there's the LAN thing too..I run three or four puters on one LAN and use Pro for all...

1-XP Pro systems can join a domain; XP Home systems can't, which limits its use to home and SOHO environments because it can't use any corporate-specific features such as IntelliMirror.

2-Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 5.1 and Personal Web Server (PWS) are found only in XP Pro.

3-Direct access to the Administrator account is available only in XP Pro. XP Home users must log on using Safe mode to access the Administrator account.

4-XP Pro supports Remote Desktop, which is basically a single-user version of Windows 2000 Server Terminal Services. XP Home supports only Remote Assistance.

5-Networking-related Group Policy Objects (GPO) are available only in XP Pro. XP Home supports no group policies.

6-Microsoft Remote Installation Services (RIS) and Sysprep are supported only in XP Pro.

7-The Network Monitor application is available only in XP Pro.

8-The UI for IP Security (IPSec) is available only in XP Pro.

9-SNMP support, Simple TCP/IP Services, the service access point (SAP) and Client Services for NetWare (CSNW) are available only in XP Pro.

10-XP Home supports only simple file sharing. Detailed file-level security permissions such as those found in Win2K are available only in XP Pro, which also supports the simple file-sharing model that XP Home uses.

11-XP Pro lets users limit the number of connections to shared folders and control user access by account. XP Home users access shared folders through the Guest account, which is disabled by default in XP Pro.

12- You can upgrade Windows NT 4.0 Workstation and Win2K Professional only to XP Pro. You can upgrade Windows 9x versions since Windows 98 only to XP Home. Neither version supports upgrades from Windows 95.

Mcpisik
02-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Brilliant thanks u 2....now understand difference between pro and home....

Im buying an Asus A8N-sli premium motherboard and an Athlon64 x2 4400+ cpu, so would this mean xp 64 would be best? Am I right in thinking that xp 64 is compatible with 32bit programs? My main concern is with games not being supported by 64 bit, so am hoping that they will at least run at 32 bit, until new games come out that support it...
cheers...

Speedy Gonzales
02-10-2005, 04:55 PM
32 bit programs shouldnt be a prob for 64 bit Windows.

Its 32 bit drivers that 64 bit Windows doesnt like.

So, before u buy something, make sure 64 bit drivers are available for whatever device you get.

Or else 64 bit Windows wont install the drivers for it / will refuse to install 32 bit drivers.

64 bit windows would speed things up a bit, if the mobo is 64 bit. And the program you use is 64 bit as well.

Mcpisik
02-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Nice one speedy,
thats done the trick for me thanks

32 bit programs shouldnt be a prob for 64 bit Windows.

Its 32 bit drivers that 64 bit Windows doesnt like.

So, before u buy something, make sure 64 bit drivers are available for whatever device you get.

Or else 64 bit Windows wont install the drivers for it / will refuse to install 32 bit drivers.

64 bit windows would speed things up a bit, if the mobo is 64 bit. And the program you use is 64 bit as well.

Speedy Gonzales
02-10-2005, 05:19 PM
No worries HTH :)

imarubberducky
02-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Might be a good idea to read a review on XP x64, it supposably has many compatability issues

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_x64_preview2.asp

And remember to get a fair bit of ram when u get ur mobo and cpu. If you move from 32 to 64 bit, you basically need to at least double your memory. 1 gig in 64 bit is the equivalent of a 512 on a 32bit machine. That's because you're dealing with chunks that are twice the size… if you try to make do with what you've got you'll see less performance.

Mcpisik
02-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Might be a good idea to read a review on XP x64, it supposably has many compatability issues

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_x64_preview2.asp

And remember to get a fair bit of ram when u get ur mobo and cpu. If you move from 32 to 64 bit, you basically need to at least double your memory. 1 gig in 64 bit is the equivalent of a 512 on a 32bit machine. That's because you're dealing with chunks that are twice the size… if you try to make do with what you've got you'll see less performance.

Good points...think ill stick with the old 32bit until vista comes out, then see how everythings improved by then. Cheers for the info...