PDA

View Full Version : New system not starting.

Toshi
01-10-2005, 07:20 PM
I know that this is probably one of the most posted problems of computing troubleshooting, but i hope you all wont mind...

Ive just upgraded both the PSU, CPU and Mobo of my system (from socket A to 939).

What ive upgraded to:
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939
AMD 64 3000+
Raidmax 500w PSU

Other than that, nothing else has changed, and all well above what you'd call "reccomended" specs -its a gaming rig.

Problem:
System wont boot, wont do POST.
What it does do is power up for about 100ms -dosnt beep- and powers off.
Im guessing this is a CPU or RAM problem, and that the new motherboard is having a booboo about it.

I cant find any good troubleshooting for this kind of problem, and theres no comments in the mobo manual. The new power supply seems quality enough (better than the old one), so im guessing thats not the problem either. Ive tried playing around with all the cable and power connections, RAM placement, CPU seating, and many other things, but all very much no-go.

:badpc: :badpc: :badpc:

Battleneter
01-10-2005, 07:32 PM
I have this exact board and CPU.

Sounds like earthing, is the powersupply making a humming buzzing noise after you have turned on?

pctek
01-10-2005, 07:43 PM
You didn't say what ram? And how many pieces? Is it DDR400? One piece or two? You're not putting 1 piece in a dual channel slot or something? (That should cause beeps though).
Is it working ram? Try another piece.
You have connected up all PSU leads that need to go into the MB? 4pin as well as main connector?
CPU not overheating? Are you using the stock cooler or did you get a different one?
You have plugged in the fan wire to the MB?
Unplu everything except ram, cpu and graphics and see if it boots. That eliminates anything else..

Battleneter
01-10-2005, 08:01 PM
You didn't say what ram? And how many pieces? Is it DDR400? One piece or two? You're not putting 1 piece in a dual channel slot or something? (That should cause beeps though).
Is it working ram? Try another piece.
You have connected up all PSU leads that need to go into the MB? 4pin as well as main connector?
CPU not overheating? Are you using the stock cooler or did you get a different one?
You have plugged in the fan wire to the MB?
Unplu everything except ram, cpu and graphics and see if it boots. That eliminates anything else..

It won't be ram configuration as he states it powers off (board WILL stay powered with no ram installed at all).

It won't be CPU overheating as it will last for at LEAST 10 seconds (think the AMD64 is more like 40 seconds) with no fan installed at all before thermal shutdown, he said shutdown in like less than a second.

Other suggestions good, but does sound like earthing/shorting, ie hex nut installed out of place.

Toshi
01-10-2005, 08:14 PM
1 piece of geil 1gb ddr400... woked fine on my old mobo, and the manual says it should work a-ok with the new one. ram is working, at least it worked fine this morning.

yea i connected the 4 pin too. ive removed and replugged all the leads, so it might just be a case of a stray cable somewhere.

Battleneter
01-10-2005, 08:21 PM
1 piece of geil 1gb ddr400... woked fine on my old mobo, and the manual says it should work a-ok with the new one. ram is working, at least it worked fine this morning.

yea i connected the 4 pin too. ive removed and replugged all the leads, so it might just be a case of a stray cable somewhere.

Yes as I said its not ram, as you said it powers off immediately, which eliminates ram. The K8NSC will run 1 dim in bank 2 or 4. In the other banks it will not be recognised, but will stay powered.

Is the power supply making a humming /buzzing noise? put your ear up to it?

Toshi
01-10-2005, 08:32 PM
problem found...

after removing the heatsink, ram, video card and every other item bar the CPU, the system started and a small puff of smoke (including awful burnt plastic smell, "bzzzt" sound effect, and sinking feeling) came from the left-hand corner of the 5th pci slot.

funnily enough, it starts up without the gfx card installed, which probably means that the whole pci and agp bus is (and was) borked.

Now ive got no choice but to use my warranty, and we all know how long warranties take...

pctek
02-10-2005, 09:11 AM
It won't be CPU overheating as it will last for at LEAST 10 seconds (think the AMD64 is more like 40 seconds) with no fan installed at all before thermal shutdown, he said shutdown in like less than a second.

Well I saw a system where the owner had installed the HSF wrong - the type with the "ledge". It was backwards. He was puzzled as the thing would shut off stariaght away. Not after 10 secs or so.

I discovered it after taking his cooler off as I straight away suspected it was that.

Yes with HSF correct but fan not connected it would last longer although you would get beeps too I think on most boards now - when the BIOS didn't detect the fan connection.

Battleneter
02-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Yep so have I on Older Athlon CPU's and that often cooks the cores. But we are talking about AMD 64's apples and oranges.

The AMD 64's will run ok for 20-40 seconds and then shut itself down without damage exactly the same as the later P4's. Toms Hardware has a video of them running one without a Fan if your interested somewhere.

Also the heat sink fans are "idiot proof" and can be installed either way around unlike the older Althlons.

Battleneter
02-10-2005, 12:50 PM
problem found...

after removing the heatsink, ram, video card and every other item bar the CPU, the system started and a small puff of smoke (including awful burnt plastic smell, "bzzzt" sound effect, and sinking feeling) came from the left-hand corner of the 5th pci slot.

funnily enough, it starts up without the gfx card installed, which probably means that the whole pci and agp bus is (and was) borked.

Now ive got no choice but to use my warranty, and we all know how long warranties take...

Grats of finding the problem, a quick half second spin of the fans is often earthing or shorting, unfortunately your is the worst kind blown components. Hopefully you won't have a problem with RMA, although you may be questioned thoroughly just to warn you.