PDA

View Full Version : HP pavilian a340a Upgade help

dgoddard
01-10-2005, 07:13 PM
I would like to upgrade my HP pavilian a340a to help upload and close games faster like Sims2, they currently take an age!!.
What would be the easiest and most cost effective way ?.
The machine is still under warrenty from DSE , once the back is open is the warrenty void?

Prescott
01-10-2005, 07:18 PM
upgrade your ram, this is the easiest and cheapest.
you could possibly add graphics card, but HP's are known to have a hissy fit with some graphics cards.

go for the ram.

[edit]
i just noticed on the spec sheet of your computer, it doesnt have a agp port so adding a graphics card is not possible, well not an agp one that is, a pci one is possible but they are very expensive and not really worth it.

pctek
01-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Get a new motherboard with an AGP slot or PCI-E, more ram and a decent graphics card.

Rob99
02-10-2005, 12:53 AM
The machine is still under warrenty from DSE , once the back is open is the warrenty void?
Opening the back and installing or removing parts can not void the warrenty, unless they can see you had no idea what you were doing and broke something.

The HP website will have loads of tips and instructions so should the book that came with your PC.

But be warned, the BIG BRAND PC you have is built with the cheapest crapiest parts avaliable, so dont spend too much on your upgrade as you will probally find when your warrenty period finishes many of the key components will start failing.

Best off saving up for a proper computer. Waiting for HP fanboys rebuttal.

Robby
02-10-2005, 11:29 AM
hello,

The best place to start, is to increase your RAM memory, however,
the HP computers can be a bit picky of what type of ram to install.

Do a search on the HP web site for your computer, it will show how much it can take, and what type it likes, amd how to install it.

good luck, I'm onto my second HP computer, and the only failings I've had have been of my own doing.

Robby

chiefnz
02-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Yes I agree, your best option is a RAM upgrade and also if the mobo comes with an AGP or PCI-E slot then a dedicated graphics card might also give you a little more performance. I would also suggest a hard drive upgrade, 40GB isn't much so maybe bumping it up to 80 or 120GB may help especially if it's a faster drive @ 7200 or 10000rpm.

Get a new motherboard with an AGP slot or PCI-E, more ram and a decent graphics card. This isn't a good option as the OS would be tied to the mobo already installed and as such he would have to buy a new OS. The OS purchased with the computer will be linked to the mobo, so any change in that will prevent Windows from being installed.

cheers

chiefnz

Prescott
02-10-2005, 01:39 PM
the orginal poster might aswell get a complete new system, its not like he can use much of the HP in his new pc, ie teh mobo will not fit in the case..... but he could use his cpu and some of his ram...

drcspy
02-10-2005, 04:24 PM
i've rebuilt a few older hp's and always found a suitable socket A mobo to fit.........not a problem really

Prescott
02-10-2005, 05:25 PM
thats a surprise, most of the time these brand name pc's have diffirent mounting holes

drcspy
02-10-2005, 05:32 PM
not hp to my recollection i just rebuilt one last weekend went fine with a socket A mobo..........as far as I recall I dont ever had any troubles with cases with 'odd' mounting holes..........what you gotta remember is tho its a 'name brand' pc it uses mobos built by some other manufacturer............usually 'standard' mobos .........most pc manufacturers are NOT manufacturers they're really just assemblers.......

Metla
02-10-2005, 06:26 PM
HP have many that don't conform to the ATX or M-ATX standard.

And their 200w PSU's are $210 dollars......Crooks.

drcspy
02-10-2005, 06:40 PM
oh well must be lucky aint come across one that didn't fit an atx board yet.....as for their psu's yep theyr'e ver costly but with a little tricky fiddling around one can usually fit a standard psu......and failing all that well another case aint very expensive these days, psu included often enough.......

Metla
02-10-2005, 06:46 PM
I just bung them straight in a new case, we had a power surge last weekend and i'm still working through the pile of comps that came in during the week that are dead as a dodo.