PDA

View Full Version : graphics card making funny sounds...

Sleepy
01-10-2005, 05:30 PM
hi i have a gecube radeon 9600 pro, i've narrowed it down to the graphics card, and its making loud noises whirring ones, i know its this because i unplugged all the case fans and the noise was still there. My question is, do i need to replace the graphics card fan? Is this the right thing for my graphics card? Video Clip Fan (http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?102042)
I'm finding it really annoying making the loud noises. Or do i need to buy a whole new heatsink cooler as well?

Thanks.

bob_doe_nz
01-10-2005, 05:44 PM
you should be able to go with just the fan, assuming the power plug and Fan clips are the same...

Sleepy
01-10-2005, 05:52 PM
well going off by the picture i assume they're all the same. Are graphics card fans usually the same size for screws/power etc.. or am i just wasting my $, or would it be better to take the graphics card in for them to look at? Thanks.

Battleneter
01-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Video card fans are usually just sleevless fans with nothing much to actually fail. They usually become noisey with dust.

The other option perhaps to try first as it won't cost you anything, is remove the fan and flush out with somthing like CRC preferrably the blue non conductive spray, (normal stuff is fine, done it before).

Make sure all excess oil has dripped out, if you can run the fan on a rag before putting back is always more desirable, then wipe fan well.

After this it may run fine for another 2 years, or 2 minutes.

Its up to you to try.

BTW if you want to replace the fan, you can probably just swap the fan, and NOT the heatsink. That Heatsink fan, looks a little cheap for a ATI 9600pro.

pctek
01-10-2005, 07:45 PM
hi i have a gecube radeon 9600 pro, i've narrowed it down to the graphics card, and its making loud noises whirring ones, i know its this because i unplugged all the case fans and the noise was still there.

Thanks.
Sure its not the PSU fan?

Sleepy
01-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Sure its not the PSU fan?

yep because i took the graphics card out, and no noise. Very loud and irritating :waughh: oh yes another question, is there much point buying a new one? or would it be alright with a second hand one?

Sleepy
01-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Video card fans are usually just sleevless fans with nothing much to actually fail. They usually become noisey with dust.

The other option perhaps to try first as it won't cost you anything, is remove the fan and flush out with somthing like CRC preferrably the blue non conductive spray, (normal stuff is fine, done it before).

Make sure all excess oil has dripped out, if you can run the fan on a rag before putting back is always more desirable, then wipe fan well.

After this it may run fine for another 2 years, or 2 minutes.

Its up to you to try.

BTW if you want to replace the fan, you can probably just swap the fan, and NOT the heatsink. That Heatsink fan, looks a little cheap for a ATI 9600pro.

Well no CRC, probalary end up replacing the fan, just hopefully it fits.