PDA

View Full Version : Canon S200SPx

fazywazy
01-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Have just purchased s/hand SP200spx printer. Went ok on sellers Computer, but when I go to use it an error message comes up "Cartridge Unknown" Using same cartridges that were in there when I bought it, and also put in new one. Driver etc all installed ok. Any suggestions?

Prescott
01-10-2005, 02:35 PM
welcome to pressf1,
what os are you using?
i think it could be a driver issue, download the latest drivers....

Graham L
01-10-2005, 03:02 PM
It might be just a bad installation. If it worked on the vendor's cmputer, and you installed the same driver, it's unlikely to be a bad driver.

Try uninstalling it, then:

Install the driver, then reboot, then plug the printer in.

(I'm assuming it's a USB printer ... they seem to be very fussy about the installation order, and give strange error messages when you get it wrong).

fazywazy
02-10-2005, 10:41 AM
welcome to pressf1,
what os are you using?
i think it could be a driver issue, download the latest drivers....

I have installed the driver that came with the CD, and that seems to be okay. What do you mean by os? Not familiar with this?

fazywazy
02-10-2005, 10:44 AM
It might be just a bad installation. If it worked on the vendor's cmputer, and you installed the same driver, it's unlikely to be a bad driver.

Try uninstalling it, then:

Install the driver, then reboot, then plug the printer in.

(I'm assuming it's a USB printer ... they seem to be very fussy about the installation order, and give strange error messages when you get it wrong).
Thanks Graham for your reply. I have already done the above. Yes it is a USB Printer, and also does not have an on/off switch. Was told that these can be temperamental machines! I will just have to keep trying! Hope someone else has more ideas!

Prescott
02-10-2005, 01:45 PM
os means Operating System, as in what version of windows do you use, win 98, winxp etc....

Graham L
02-10-2005, 01:58 PM
Now, having done it the right way, let's see if we can find a way that works. (I guessed that the order I suggested was the manufacturer-recommended way. If it wasn't ... :groan: ). Sometimes the manufacturers get it wrong.

Uninstall it. Then shut down and plug the printer in. Now restart. Windows should detect it as a new piece of hardware, and ask for a driver. Put in the CD, and go from there. When finished, shut down and restart. See if you've got a working printer. ;)

(Although it's a nuisance, it's advisable to shut down and restart after installing or uninstalling any driver before trying to use the hardware it is for.)

fazywazy
03-10-2005, 07:12 AM
[QUOTE=Prescott]os means Operating System, as in what version of windows do you use, win 98, winxp etc....[/QUOTE Of Course! I am using Windows 98. The quick start up guide that came with the printer says that it is compatible with Windows 98 and tells how to install driver etc. I also got the CD. Have been into all the troubleshooting on printers that I could find, and nothing says anything about what to do when this message comes up.

fazywazy
03-10-2005, 07:15 AM
Now, having done it the right way, let's see if we can find a way that works. (I guessed that the order I suggested was the manufacturer-recommended way. If it wasn't ... :groan: ). Sometimes the manufacturers get it wrong.

Uninstall it. Then shut down and plug the printer in. Now restart. Windows should detect it as a new piece of hardware, and ask for a driver. Put in the CD, and go from there. When finished, shut down and restart. See if you've got a working printer. ;)

(Although it's a nuisance, it's advisable to shut down and restart after installing or uninstalling any driver before trying to use the hardware it is for.)
Thanks Graham L, will give this suggestion a go, and see how it goes from there!

FrankS
03-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Just setup a Canon MP 130, the Users Guide quotes the following LCD Error Message
WRONG CARTRIDGE
Cause - The print head is not installed correctly
Action - Install the print head. If the message remains the print head maybe defective. Contact Canon.

Can you get the Easy Setup Guide?
For the MP 130 the sequence is
Connect Power cord, install Print Head, instal ink tanks, load paper, turn on Computer, stop antivirus or other running apps, remove any earlier versions (do not connect USB cable), insert Setup CD Rom (if you see "Found New Hardware Wizard" the USB cable is still connected, remove USB and cl cancel). Instal Software, when complete connect USB.
The sequence for the USB cable is important.
Guide warns not to touch any of the Print head contacts.Other guides give methods to clean print head.

fazywazy
05-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Just setup a Canon MP 130, the Users Guide quotes the following LCD Error Message
WRONG CARTRIDGE
Cause - The print head is not installed correctly
Action - Install the print head. If the message remains the print head maybe defective. Contact Canon.

Can you get the Easy Setup Guide?
For the MP 130 the sequence is
Connect Power cord, install Print Head, instal ink tanks, load paper, turn on Computer, stop antivirus or other running apps, remove any earlier versions (do not connect USB cable), insert Setup CD Rom (if you see "Found New Hardware Wizard" the USB cable is still connected, remove USB and cl cancel). Instal Software, when complete connect USB.
The sequence for the USB cable is important.
Guide warns not to touch any of the Print head contacts.Other guides give methods to clean print head. Thanks for this info Steve. I tried the above from Graham L advice, but did not seem to work. Let you know how I get on. Cheers

B.M.
05-10-2005, 07:59 PM
I agree with FrankS. I've had a number of Cannon printers (but not your model) and the printhead produces nearly all the problems. Not that you get many.

Can someone else try the printer for you?