PDA

View Full Version : modem suggestion

chinadoll
01-10-2005, 02:00 PM
Hi,
Can anyone give me some suggestion of what types or bands of internal 56k modem are more reliable on connectiing and best download speed? Hardware or software modem? What is low profile ?
The modem is for my new computer. (3.2ghz cpu,with window XP o/s and 1g of ra)
Thank you .

b1naryb0y
01-10-2005, 02:27 PM
I consider the terms "Internal Modem", and "reliable" to be an oxymoron.

If you want speed and reliability, get an external modem. Good brands to look for are US Robotics and Dynalink.

godfather
01-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Real "hardware modems" are best, and they are only available in external RS232 connection format. As binaryb0y suggests.

External cost more but generally give better reliability, avoid USB external ones though.

chinadoll
02-10-2005, 12:07 AM
Thank you for the help.

chinadoll
02-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Hi, Godfather
As you said: avoid USB external one, do you mean usb connection modem?
Also what is RS232 connection?
Sorry for asking.
Thank you.

godfather
02-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Avoid an external dial-up modem that uses USB to connect to the PC.

Usually the USB modems are just the same as internal PCI "winmodems" with an added overhead of a USB interface. Better to use a cheap PCI internal one in that case.

RS232 is the COM1 or COM2 Serial Port connection, a 9 pin male socket (DB9 male connector) on the rear of the PC. I presume most PCs still have them, but most laptops seem to have removed them these days

Metla
02-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Personally I consider an external modem overkill unless you are in an area where you have trouble. 99 percent of people will see zero benifit from them.

However, due to the cheap and nasty nature of PCI modems some of them are real stinkers, Speedcom units tend to just be plain bad, Whether thats just in Wanganui or not I do not know, But they took a chunk out of my hide...

...Yet the Excel branded modems tend to connect very strongly and keep on trucking, Both are at the lowest end of the price bracket.

TheRascal
03-10-2005, 01:06 AM
Nothing wrong with Speedcom ext modem, I've been using them for yrs without trouble. Always connect at 48k + on good line, always seem to release quick on internet dis-connection. I've got two surplus since going broadband. Cheap too !