PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Confusion

JJJJJ
01-10-2005, 12:20 PM
A chap has just bought a second hand monitor.

He plugged it in and it showed the post , but as soon as Windows started to load monitor went blank.`

I Tried it on my comp, plugging his cable into the analog port. Exactly the same thing happened. Taking an inspired guess I unplugged the DVI cable to my monitor and the 2nd hand monitor worked perfectly.

This has made me think. Could I have got two monitors working by setting up a second one on my video card?

Is there any other reason why a monitor would cease to work when windows starts to load? I didn't ask him if he already had a monitor attached.

FoxyMX
01-10-2005, 12:31 PM
This has made me think. Could I have got two monitors working by setting up a second one on my video card?Yes, of course you can. I have had mine setup that way since getting a LCD with DVI output. You have to go into Display Properties to configure running dual monitors but that is a piece of cake.

Is there any other reason why a monitor would cease to work when windows starts to load? I didn't ask him if he already had a monitor attached.
That could happen when the resolution and/or refresh rate is set too high for the monitor's capabilities. See if it will work in Safe Mode and if it does, try lowering the display settings and boot into Windows again.

Metla
01-10-2005, 12:33 PM
refresh rate was probally set to high, tell him to boot into safe mode, if it displays fine then its just a setting....

And yeah, 2 outputs can power 2 screens, spanned,cloned,dual view, its all good though many games spit the dummy when run over 2 screens untill you get the settings down pat