PDA

View Full Version : CPU chip stuck to heatsink

Greg
01-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Well, further to my PC fix issues, I've now extracted the motherboard I want to replace, and have dislocated the CPU + fan, but now, the CPU chip is stuck firmly onto the heatsink.

I guess it's because of the thermal pad that came with the CPU, which has now somewhat melded between the chip and the fan heatsink.

I am sure I can seperate it by using the flat side of a screwdriver.

Should I do this, or just place the heatsink/fan/cpu all together onto the new motherboard as is?

Motherboard is socket 478, CPU is P4 2.4

Thanks for any advice.

Metla
01-10-2005, 11:59 AM
You cant pace it into the motherboard "as it is", how are you going to work the locking lever for the socket?, or line up the pins as you hammer home the clip on the heatsink.

Infact, if you managed to pull the heatsink and fan from the mobo as one then you cant have undone the locking lever on the cpu socket.

You are one rough geezer, and me thinks this still has some downhill to go..

New ram-dead
Motherboard-dead
Cpu and new motherboard-Cpy possibly damaged and both items in a Very dangerous position.....

Best of luck, but you will need to seperate teh cpu and heatsink, Try using a credit card as a hacksaw before hitting it with a screwdriver, and check for bent pins....

Greg
01-10-2005, 12:29 PM
You cant pace it into the motherboard "as it is", how are you going to work the locking lever for the socket?, or line up the pins as you hammer home the clip on the heatsink.Um, I thought it could go into the new mobo exactly reverse to how I extracted it. (all in one attached piece). I'll seperate it.

Infact, if you managed to pull the heatsink and fan from the mobo as one then you cant have undone the locking lever on the cpu socket.Yeah that's what I did, ie I did undo the levers.

You are one rough geezer, and me thinks this still has some downhill to go..
New ram-dead
Motherboard-dead
Cpu and new motherboard-Cpy possibly damaged and both items in a Very dangerous position.....

Best of luck, but you will need to seperate teh cpu and heatsink, Try using a credit card as a hacksaw before hitting it with a screwdriver, and check for bent pins....

Thx for the advice. Pins on the cpu are good. I'm pretty sure I'll get it right in the end.

Metla
01-10-2005, 12:33 PM
how did you reach the spu locking lever with the heatsink in place?

Greg
01-10-2005, 12:46 PM
how did you reach the spu locking lever with the heatsink in place?Um... it's a 2.4 Pentium - the levers are on the sides of the heatsink, easily accessed. Sorry if I'm not understanding your question/terminology properly.

An image is here...(Intel P4 2.4 image) (http://www.dansdata.com/images/p4800/p4560.jpg) I'm certain you know it.

I unlocked it, and it remained attached to the chip. Is this unusual????

Greg
01-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Ok - I detached the chip from the heatsink... used a wooden lever ( an envelope knife souvenir from Fiji). It came off sweetly after I put a bit of force on it.

Metla
01-10-2005, 01:11 PM
I refer to the lever on the motherboard, on the socket that the cpu plugs into, all of which is covered completely by the heatsink when mounted

Metla
01-10-2005, 01:22 PM
as illistated in this pic

http://www.fonerbooks.com/replace/cpu_4.jpg

The P4 boards usually have a thin metal one, and it is impossible to undo when the heatsink is attached.....

pctek
01-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Heehee. Some of them you can get at the ZIF lever with a heatsink in place. Have to say that particular HSF looked a little tricky to do that though. Well it doesn't necessarily mean its damaged.
No they aren't meant to stick together, but a bit of isopropyl alcohol might have been a better idea than levering it off.

Never mind, clean it up properly now. Replace the CPU on its own into the new board first, making sure the IF lever is in the up position. Then when CPU is lined up in correctly, lower the lever.
Then attach the hsf, positioned correctly also.
And see if it boots.

Levering, wrenching and shoving are generally to be avoided. Think of it as an eggshell.

Metla
01-10-2005, 04:09 PM
The heatsink would have to be no wider then the cpu in-order to unlatch the locking lever and release the cpu, can't say i have ever seen a P4 heatsink that would let you do that...

....though I haven't seen everything......

and I have had the odd cpu came away with the heatsink, its never a good feeling.....

Battleneter
01-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Using the Ziff socket to remove is the best option to try first.

But I have had the odd CPU "really" stuck on and pull out of the locked socket. In this case take a wide flat head screw driver, put a bit of tape around the end (as to not scratch CPU) and lever it off. Yes it makes you cringe, but havent damaged one yet. Just use care and force at the same time.

pctek
01-10-2005, 07:53 PM
The heatsink would have to be no wider then the cpu in-order to unlatch the locking lever and release the cpu, can't say i have ever seen a P4 heatsink that would let you do that...

I never said anyhting about P4s.... :D

BIFF
01-10-2005, 08:50 PM
This is happened to me twice and I am not a rough person, having 11 sucessful years in the business. Both times the CPU and socket have been fine though only by luck not good management. A few tips I can share with you about this problem are: If it happens push the CPU off the heatsink sideways by pressing on the heat spreader, don't try and lever it off. The second thing is to prevent this run something like prime 95 for an hour or so before removing so that the CPU is good and hot, that way those crappy sicky pads the IBMs and Intels of the world use will be soft. The last tip is if you buy a brand new CPU and heatsink combo, scrape the pad off the CPU with a piece of soft plastic, clean with alcohol, and use plain old ceramic thermal compound, that way when you want to get the heatsink off in future it'll just come straight off.