PDA

View Full Version : Joystick - Gentoo

Myth
30-09-2005, 11:49 PM
OK, I have tried to figure this out, read the howto, got lost halfway... need help :D

I have a CMedia 8378 (8738?) sound card with gameport. I am trying to get a Logitech Wingman joystick configured and working (wanna play games :D)
I have done the following...
Soundcard is configured with alsa.
Modules for alsa, and joystick are built in modules, not seperate.
I know alsa definately works as I can play my mp3s :)
What should I do, what may I have missed, what can I try?

p.s. if this proves to be a pain I have got a USB 2 gameport adaptor (from Tricky Dicky) so may need backup instructions for that

p.p.s.s Chill, you might recognise this soundcard ;)

Chilling_Silence
01-10-2005, 01:43 AM
Yes, soundcard..... I used to have one, just like it ;) Works quite well if I remember rightly :)

Have you seen this:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Joystick_Setup

Myth
01-10-2005, 08:54 AM
Yes, soundcard..... I used to have one, just like it ;) Works quite well if I remember rightly :)

Have you seen this:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Joystick_SetupThat was the howto I got stuck on. It mentioed loading modules via modprobe, but everytime I tried I got a message saying FATAL: such and such cannot be found (or similar wording.) Then it went downhill from there

Chilling_Silence
01-10-2005, 11:16 AM
That was the howto I got stuck on. It mentioed loading modules via modprobe, but everytime I tried I got a message saying FATAL: such and such cannot be found (or similar wording.) Then it went downhill from there
If it cant find the modules to modprobe then its because you havent compiled them, or because you've built them in to your kernel. Dont forget you're not going to be using the Sonique (IIRC) soundcard that they have, so the module for loading that will be different. The rest should be the same however

Myth
06-10-2005, 11:10 AM

Ok ditched the idea of using gameport on other advice and set it up via adaptor to usb.
The adaptor is a tricky dicky special that is according to the site compatible with linux 2.3.4
This is where I am with the usb...
TazzComp ~ # dmesg | grep -i Joystick
input: USB HID v1.00 Joystick [Padix Co. Ltd. 2-axis, 4-button joystick w/view finder, rudder ] on usb-0000:00:10.2-2
The thing is, as a test I have emerged gl-117 but it doesnt pick up on the joystick. What can I try next...
I also note that jscalibrator does not pick up the joystick in either /dev/js* or /dev/input/js*

Any ideas? Does the DSE adaptor need a driver (never came with one) if so anyone have it or know where it is?