PDA

View Full Version : Bridge Network Connections?

Edward
30-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Hi. I've decided to bring my old computer back from the dead as an IRC computer. But there'a a bit of an issue, network connectivity

Before I had a Win XP computer and a Win 2000 computer connected to Jetstream via 4 port router. Now I have a Windows 98 computer connected, so it is like

Win 98 -- Win 2000 ------------- Router -- Windows XP

But I'm not having much luck getting it working. Unlike on windows XP, there isn't an easy "Bridge network connections" button, and I'm at a loss as to what to do =\

If anyone can tell me how to bridge them using windows 2000, it'd be appreciated :)

thanks, edward

qyiet
30-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Um.. if you have a 4 port router you shouldn't need to bridge. your network diagram should look like this.

Internet <--> Router <-|
->WinXP
->Win2K
->Win98

Not Like

Internet <--> Router <-|
->WinXP
->Win2K ->Win98

Just plug them all into the 4 port router, and you are set. Unless I missed the point completely.

-Qyiet

Edward
30-09-2005, 02:50 PM
the thing is the router is in another room, and while I could move it, there are no phone ports in the room where the 2 I'm trying to bridge are x_x

qyiet
30-09-2005, 03:02 PM
In that case, I would buy a small switch, I purchased a cheap 5 port 10/100 for $30 last week. And change your network diagram to look like this

Internet <--> Router <-|
->WinXP
->Cheap Switch<-|
->Win2K
->Win98
That way you don't have to mess with settings, and you don't have to rely on any PC being on for the others to go.

-Qyiet