PDA

View Full Version : Router, gateway, hub question

lazydog
30-09-2005, 01:20 AM
I have broadband now and I'm thinking of networking the three computers we have in the house so we can all take advantage of it.
I've been reading up on here and google on how to do it but my head is swimming with routers/switches/hubs/gateways etc so thought i'd just ask for some help....

At the mo mine is the only one connected to the net. It's connected thru the standard D-Link adsl modem (that xtra supplies) to the ethernet port on my computer. I think this diagram is the way that i should connect them all together
http://imagef1.x10hosting.com/files/hmnetwk4.jpg

In the diagram it has a router/gateway and a hub. Is it possible to get the router/gateway and the hub in the one unit?.
If so, is this the sort of unit that i should be looking at getting?.....
http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=109423

Is it possible to run ZA on each computer without having the hassles of conflicts due to ICS (like i had when my computer was networked to another computer by cross over cable, a dailup connection and ZA) or will it be the same?.
If it is the same hassles then Is it worth paying the extra money to get one with a built in firewall?.

All computers have XP home and all will be connected by ethernet ports.

Any advice or links much appreciated.
Thanks, Brian.

Rob99
30-09-2005, 01:34 AM
I would buy a cheap Genius switch.

###########################/- computer 1
Internet -- D-Link 302 Modem -- switch -- computer 2
###########################\- computer 3

The switch requires no setup, just plug 'n' play.

As for Zone Alarm... well I dont use any more than the WindowsXP with SP2 built in firewall, so will leave that up to the ZA guys, but you should have no problems.

tweak'e
30-09-2005, 08:41 AM
if you set it up like rob99 has sugested then you won't need ICS or proxy software.

ZA has never had a conflict with ICS. the free ver of ZA simply dosn't support it, only the pro ver supports it.

lazydog
30-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the quick reply rob99. Unfortunately i was too knackered last night and had to get some shuteye.

A switch was something i saw mentioned while reseaching as well.
I've sussed a cheap one as you said. Alot cheaper than the way i was thinking of doing it. Thanks.

Two more questions....
Are computers fairly safe behind a switch?. I was thinking of loading ZA free version up on the other two computers for securitys sake.

Can i plan lan games using a switch?.

Thanks.

Rob99
30-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Think of a switch as a multi box or spliter box, there is no login to it, no configuration, nothing, its just a little box with 5 or more ports on it.

Your security will come from your computer via your firewall and virus program. This is how most people have it setup. Each PC will have its own protection.

And games work on a switch, no worries.

lazydog
30-09-2005, 12:12 PM
Ah, i see now.
Thats the setup for me.
Thanks for that rob.

vapo
30-09-2005, 12:44 PM
I look at those D-Link modems Xtra provide and just shake my head. Those poor people. :groan:

Scouse
30-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Hi Folks. Quick question.... would the Genius switch work if one machine was XP and the others were Windows 98? Thanks

Murray P
30-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Hi Folks. Quick question.... would the Genius switch work if one machine was XP and the others were Windows 98? Thanks

Yep. 98 and win2k/XP can be a little bothersome to network but the will.

I agree, those Xtra/D-Link modems aren't so hot. They do route and have NAT but that's about it.

BTW lazydog, your primary line of defence is a router with NAT (network address translation), then a firewall. IMO, the XP firewall is insufficient.