PDA

View Full Version : Graphic card?

techie
29-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Excuse me if my question is stupid. My last proper graphic card was a TNT 32Mb :lol:

Anyway, at the moment, my computer is on onboard graphics, Intel 82915G Express chipset to be precise. Every now and then, when I try to close a screen, jump from one thing to next, etc. I'd get a frozen screen (somethings just freeze, sometimes goes completely white) for a few seconds to just under half a minute.

Just wondering if this may be because the graphic processor is lacking in performance? I have P4 3Ghz, with 512Mb DDR400, so I don't think it could be any other problem.

I am looking at buying GECUBE RADEON X600XT PCIe 128MB/VIVO Xtreme Edition (http://www.gecube.com/products-detail.php?prod_cat=10&prod_id=45) Anyone got comments? -I don't do gaming, etc. Just thought if I was to get a graphic card, I may as well get a decent one. Price ain't a problem because I can source the one above for cheap. (My motherboard only supports PCI-E, not AGP)

Cheers,

Freejack
29-09-2005, 10:40 PM
I really doubt its your graphics card in this case. I reccomend you spend your money on a memory, CPU or hd upgrade. These will more likely address the performance issue you have.

If your CPU is reasonably modern then go for a mem upgrade.

techie
29-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Memory is not a problem either though. I'm usually using just under half of my full capacity (512Mb) -usually got over 256mb to spare.

Thanks,

linw
29-09-2005, 11:41 PM
I certainly wouldn't assume it is a graphics 'card' problem. No way will it take up to 30 sec to 'catch up'. Has it always done this? Is the system frozen e.g. can you get responses from your mouse? Is there any disk activity during the pauses? Is there any Internet traffic?

I would look at the system and application logs to see if any errors are reported. Good idea to do this periodically, anyway. It would be a good idea to run spyware checks, also, as it seems as if your system is being flogged on some activity. Can you get into Task Manager during a pause?

techie
29-09-2005, 11:49 PM
I certainly wouldn't assume it is a graphics 'card' problem. No way will it take up to 30 sec to 'catch up'. Has it always done this? Is the system frozen e.g. can you get responses from your mouse? Is there any disk activity during the pauses? Is there any Internet traffic?

I would look at the system and application logs to see if any errors are reported. Good idea to do this periodically, anyway. It would be a good idea to run spyware checks, also, as it seems as if your system is being flogged on some activity. Can you get into Task Manager during a pause?
Thanks for your reply, I wouldn't say 30 seconds all the time. It can vary anywhere from 5 to 30s. The system still moves, etc. Task Manager pops up as well, but the whole screen juz freezes, and then when it comes back, Task Manager is displayed, mouse moves again, etc. Spyware, etc. has been checked, and no problems found

It has done this for quite some time, even after fresh install, but now that I'm back earning some money, it feels more irritating and I can't resist not spending it ;)

memphis
29-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Have you updated your motherboard graphics drivers and all your other drivers?

Do the most recommended and cheapest upgrade get more memory as that will help out alot for opening/closing programmes.

Add 512mb ddr400 and it will make a big difference. :thumbs:

:2cents:

memphis
30-09-2005, 12:42 AM
Do a disk clean and a disk defragmentation as that helps too.

techie
30-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Do a disk clean and a disk defragmentation as that helps too.

I have a rather good habit of putting my PC on defrag once every few days, not too often I suppose. Will more ram help? -even when I don't think it's needed?

Myth
30-09-2005, 09:35 AM
I would check...
drivers - have you got the latest (not from Microsoft Updates either)
bios - how much memory ids allocated to the onboard graphics
bios - is onboard grapics the default, or is it looking to AGP first (not sure if this one will affect it, but just check the setting)

chiefnz
30-09-2005, 10:57 AM
I have a rather good habit of putting my PC on defrag once every few days, not too often I suppose. Will more ram help? -even when I don't think it's needed?

Whether you game or not 1GB of RAM is becoming comman place today. I think RAM is a good option. Most recommend 512MB of RAM ro RUN Windows smoothly. Now if your running onboard graphics Windows is actually not getting the full 512MB.

Bottom line is You need to get more RAM. It is the cheaper option and also if you don't play games why bother to fork out a few hundy for a X600 when you can fork out just under $100 for another 512MB stick of RAM.

cheers

chiefnz

Metla
30-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Bollocks.

512 is plenty for general tasks, hell, 256mb runs a healthy system just a little slower then 512mb.1GB isn't any use unless your into high end gaming or video editing. All my games ran on 256mb just last week when I was messing around with her...

The pause issue isn't something that can easily be answered on a forum like this, I would say its a resource sharing issue rather then a lack of resources, You may have to do some experimenting.

First off i would disable everything under startup, reboot and see if the pausing has gone, if it has then there is your issue. One of your running apps isn't playing well with the others. My bet is on this.

If that has no joy then drop your display res right down and see if that helps the issue....if so then get a real video card.

memphis
30-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Ram is so cheap and makes a big difference in opening/closing programmes and windows becomes so much more responsive with more ram as well.

It is the first and best upgrade most people do with there computers.

Just borrow some from a mate and see the difference for yourself,only takes a few seconds to install. :cool:

Quote:by Techie
-I don't do gaming

So dont get the graphic card get the ram instead!!! :thumbs:

Quote:by Techie
Will more ram help? -even when I don't think it's needed?

YES,YES IT WILL HELP!! ;)

Metla
30-09-2005, 11:54 AM
For the love of Jebus...

Any computer running intergrated graphics is going to perform worse in every day tasks then one with a dedicated video card, a cheap video card gives a good value for money improvment to any computer.

Next I'm gonna start flaming.

Battleneter
30-09-2005, 11:58 AM
whoops

Battleneter
30-09-2005, 12:00 PM
I agree with the general comments, it is not going to be video card related. Does sound more like HDD paging or an app taking up a lot of HDD time.

Not running Nortons are we? lol, your virus scanner should be your top suspect, but there is some good advdice further back.

Also go for a Nvidia 6600GT if you must upgrade your video card. You may as well upgrade to something decent, but it will cost you $300 ish.

techie
30-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for all your comments. I have decided, based on the above comments, that I do not need more ram, because as far as I'm concerned, if Windows tells me that it's not even using half of what I'm allowing it to use, then it won't need anymore. So I opted to get a graphics card instead.

GeCube ATI Radeon X600XT Extreme with VIVO

Woah! So far, I haven't had any 'frozen' screens. Quality not much improved as I'm using 800x600 only, but when I increase the resolution, its crystal clear! To my suprise, it came with a Video-out cable, Counter-Strike :p, DVD softwares, etc. ... oh and that's not forget the size of box was at least twice what I had imagined, and the manual, well, too thick I didn't bother reading.

And that's not worry about how much I spent on it :p It was dirt cheap -in fact, 40% of what Ascent wants for it. :eek:

Thanks everyone once again.