PDA

View Full Version : Antivirus/Internet Security Suite (Best & When?)

zahmad
29-09-2005, 09:02 PM
What is the best Antivirus/Internet Security Suite Software for my situation:

Intel Celeron CPU
1.2GHZ
120GB Ram
20GB Hard Drive.

I'm not too fond of Norton, as it slows my pc down. I need something for 2 pcs.

And by the way, when does the 2006 software come out in NZ?

Speedy Gonzales
29-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Well, as already stated in your other post, get more ram. 120/128 is way too low for XP.

You could try AVG, Nod32, Zonealarm, Panda, Outpost Firewall (dunno what this is like).

Murray P
29-09-2005, 09:44 PM
For paid AV, I'd go with Nod32 (well actually I have). AVG for free AV.

Outpost, Kerio or ZA for firewalls. ZA is probably the most user friendly, but can cause issues for some.

Chilling_Silence
30-09-2005, 12:06 AM
I would stick with the WinXP SP2 Firewall + AVG AntiVirus in your situation. MS Antispyware would compliment it also :)

pctek
30-09-2005, 08:21 AM
I would stick with the WinXP SP2 Firewall
Surely you're not serious?!!

lazydog
30-09-2005, 09:17 AM
I would stick with the WinXP SP2 Firewall + AVG AntiVirus in your situation. MS Antispyware would compliment it also :)

Five days ago i had to disconnect ZA so that i could download some maps for UT2003 (i know but they were good maps ;-). I still had the windows firewall on so thought i'd be fairly safe.
Checking my broadband usage meter yesterday i noticed that just over 50mb had been sucked out of my computer on the day that i had to disconnect ZA. Although they were great maps i dont think i'll do it again.

Peter H
30-09-2005, 09:35 AM
Buy the October issue of PC User - 40 page guide comparing all the security suites.

Chilling_Silence
30-09-2005, 09:54 AM
What would I know, Im just a blissfully ignorant Linux user whos had nothing but a router NAT'ing for the last year and a half, no AV, no anti-spyware.... :D

zahmad
30-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Anyone comment on PC Cillin? It was the best in 2004.

Metla
30-09-2005, 10:30 AM
The best in 2004?

Where?, Ubakastanki?

Nod32 is you what you want, All those "big name" suites are big piles of crap.

chiefnz
30-09-2005, 10:44 AM
Anyone comment on PC Cillin? It was the best in 2004.
I think it's brilliant, I've used it ever since buying my 1st Asus mobo...it came with the driver CD. It is PC-Cillin 2002 though but performs great and it's the full version of the software. I had to update it with a SP recently to get the new pattern numbering format but other than that it works fantastic. It sits quietly in the sys tray and only comes up when there are any threats such virus' or internet attacks.

I'm pleased with it, I want to get PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005 soon though.

cheers

chiefnz

Metla
30-09-2005, 10:51 AM
chief....Hows the weather in Ubakastanki?

Muhahahaha

Murray P
30-09-2005, 01:25 PM
I think it's brilliant, I've used it ever since buying my 1st Asus mobo...it came with the driver CD. It is PC-Cillin 2002 though but performs great and it's the full version of the software. I had to update it with a SP recently to get the new pattern numbering format but other than that it works fantastic. It sits quietly in the sys tray and only comes up when there are any threats such virus' or internet attacks.

I'm pleased with it, I want to get PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005 soon though.

cheers

chiefnz

I've had a couple of versions of PC-cillin, both performed really well, way better than Nortons useless pile of steaming excretia anyway and better than AVG.

Nod32 leaves it for dead.

KiwiTT_NZ
30-09-2005, 01:44 PM
I would like to steer you away from a suite. I never like putting all my "security" eggs in one basket. If a suite gets compromised, and they do, * B A N G * goes your security.

I use one free firewall, one free anti-virus, one free spyware-detector, one free adware-detector, one free processguard. Note, this last program is really powerful. You control what runs on your PC. The learning mode is good in understanding what applications you normally use. When you have used all your common applications turn off learning mode and no program/executable will run unless you OK it.

zahmad
30-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks, but does anyone know when 2006 editions come out?

Murray P
30-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Thanks, but does anyone know when 2006 editions come out?

Each vendor will differ, although I guess the big boys will not want one get too far ahead. At a wild guess I'd say from now to November.

I bought 2 years worth of NOD32 licence, within that time I get full programme upgrades whenever they come out, rather than having to purchase (allbeit at a discount) the new version when it comes out, or stick with the old as was my experience with Nortons and PC-cillin.

Who's AV are you considering?

Mr Wetzyl
30-09-2005, 09:00 PM
ZA and AVG works fine for me. ;) It's just a matter of updating regularly...

It's funny to receive a Telecom letter with my Telecom bill that recommends to use the Xtra Security suite....and the suite is a McCafee.

kakapo
30-09-2005, 10:31 PM
My Asus A2 laptop came with Trend Micro's PC Cillin 2002 Suite. I've updated it to 2004 and now I'm going to try Trend Micro's latest offering - 2005. Altho' I was very sceptical at first for all the reasons KiwiTT posted, I have to admit it's done its job and efficiently too. (I'm on dial up.)

My PC runs the free avast! Home edition with Kerio 4.2.1 firewall (updated today even tho' it's going to be discontinued in December!) and Ewido resident. Both avast! and Kerio are quite small - around 7MB from memory.
Absolutely no probs there either. At least if one machine goes west, the other will hopefully be OK!

Of course, it's a personal choice......... Hope you find the right one.

zahmad
01-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Thanks guys, so that means that I can rely on AVG Free edition for all my Antivirus needs and don't need to buy any suits?

Battleneter
01-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks guys, so that means that I can rely on AVG Free edition for all my Antivirus needs and don't need to buy any suits?

I have use AVG free for over a year and never had a problem. I believe a good AV program doesn't slow down your PC like Nortons does for example.

I do believe AVG probably isn't quiet as good definition wise as some of the Pay AV's, but it is way good enough for home use Its performance overhead is very low which is great, who wants an AV program that adds 30 seconds on to boot times and slows down most Windows operations, may as well install the viruses, less annoying.

zahmad
01-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Sweet, thanks guys, anyone else comment of AVG?

Murray P
01-10-2005, 09:51 PM
The family PC runs AVG. It's pretty good, but I have had to scan it over the network using Nod32 to get rid of one infection AVG couldn't handle. Nod also picked up another that AVG had not.

If using any of the free AV, it would probably be a good idea to use the free online scans at PC-cillin, etc, every now and again, just to be sure. Eset the makers of Nod32 also have free worm cleaners. (http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm)