PDA

View Full Version : Far out!!!!

Greg
29-09-2005, 03:16 PM
I just don't know what to accurately title this post.

I bought another 512 stick of RAM, installed it, and wooah nothing came on the monitor. Then most disconcertingly a burning smell came from the computer. It was a somewhat metallic/rubber kind of smell, very hard to define.

Inside the box nothing smoked, nor any flames.

I reopened the box, re-placed the two RAM sticks, restarted and then got a BIOS/DOS type of screen telling me that Windows was screwed and I needed to replace a certain file.

Re-placed both RAM sticks, and got a new message advising I needed to boot into Safe-Mode. Nothing happened, as if kweyboard was dead.

To shorten the story, I mucked around swapping RAM sticks into several configurations.

And... I mean this is bizarre - the old reliable RAM stick in it's old location wouldn't allow the machine to start up. The new stick in the old one's p[lace has just worked, hence allowing me to get online to post this.

I can't accurately say what my mobo is because I'm in the process of moving and most of my stuff is packed away. It's an Asus, with twin RAM capabilities (DDR and non DDR)

The RAM stick I bought is identical model number to the one previously happily used.

Anyway, after putting the new RAM chip into place of the older one, everything works. ???

I'm going back in there now; I really want my full gig of RAM to work. But if all goes to steam I hope some of you regulars miss me! :( It may be a while!

hotkiwi
29-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Try trademe.co.nz

stu161204
29-09-2005, 03:26 PM
I'm going back in there now; I really want my full gig of RAM to work. But if all goes to steam I hope some of you regulars miss me! :( It may be a while!

Good luck with your computer Greg :) & If thing do turn to steam we will miss you.

Graham L
29-09-2005, 03:29 PM
No smoke? Rest of the street not blacked out? Rest of the town not blacked out?

Boring. ;) You're not trying. :(

Greg
29-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Ok sorted.

By trial-and-error I worked out:

a) I got the new and old RAM chips mixed up.
b) The new one is stuffed.

I had a lot of confidence in the new chip, coming from DSE. Sadly it wasn't right.

I'm back to my 512 chip and I'll go back to DSE tomorrow for a refund.

Greg
29-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Addendum:

I spoke to DSE's head Office, who referred me on to another department. She advised have a word with the branch manager - good call I reckon, because it wouldn't surprise me if the piece wasn't stuffed up by either lousy handling by the shop staff person or in transit by their deliverers.

pctek
29-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Quite likely. Although I would buy decent brand ram not whatever suss stuff DSE sells.

CYaBro
29-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Check the RAM module connectors along the bottom and see of any of them are burnt out.
Have seen this in the past when someone has somehow managed to put the DDR RAM module in the slot the wrong way round :waughh:
But this killed the mainboard as well and yours looks to be still working. :thumbs: