View Full Version : Where can fuse (the burning stuff) be bought?

29-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Where in NZ can this be bought? I need some fuse for a model rocket but can't find it anywhere!

Anyone know?

Graham L
29-09-2005, 03:26 PM
You might get some (with accessories) in the first week of November. :D

Perhaps a model shop which sells the "motors" for model rocket propulsion. Are you brewing your own motors? You could make your own fuse if you can still buy "saltpetre" (it's something nitrate, the oxidiser component of gunpowder, so it's [probably illegal now :(). String is easily available.

29-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Maybe a place like Farmlands or similar who sell stuff to farmers.

Trevor :)

29-09-2005, 05:13 PM
why not a thread of thin string soaked in meths and then squeezed till damp?

Terry Porritt
29-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Years ago, I used to use Jetex fuse. This has its own oxidising agent enabling it to burn when it goes through a small hole or tube, or in the absence of atmospheric oxygen.

A meths soaked thread wouldn't do this, saltpetre or potassium nitrate soaked and dried thread may work, but I dont think would be quite as reliable as the original Jetex.

It seems Jetex went out of business, but was much later resurrected as Jet-X, but I couldn't find via Google any local suppliers.

The problem these days may be getting hold of suitable 'substances', the authorities are a bit paranoiac about explosive substances compared to when I was a lad :)

I would be interested as to what motor and fuel is being used.

Murray P
29-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Where in NZ can this be bought? I need some fuse for a model rocket but can't find it anywhere!

Anyone know?

Get yorself a demo license or armourers quals and go for broke. Used to be the Labour Dep who gave out licenses if IIRC, god knows who does it now. Once you have achieved the necessary status, ag and engineering supplies are your best bet, but I suspect what they stock will be a bit much for your requirements. You could always try a little primer in the combustion chamber with a small wire element and a battery to set it off.

29-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Many years ago I used black powder then later Gelignite for splitting trees once felled and cut.
I used to get the fuse from the same outlet as the explosive. I don't know who that may be now - sorry.
I do remember that the fuse burned at 3 secs to the inch and burned within it's own sheath so once lit it stayed burning regardless where it went even underwater..

29-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Very difficult to get in NZ, although I believe some fuse is imported. I tried to buy some last year. Everyone uses electric detonators now. :confused:

The argument is that the Jetex type of fuse, made in India/Pakistan/China, is manufactured inconsistantly. Thus it is unsafe because you cannot rely upon it to burn at 3 secs/inch. Apparently there have been chaps get a big fright lighting the fuse and then seeing it burn at feet per second.

So it is very hard to get but not illegal.

Same with gunpowder. You can hardly buy it. There will be a supplier somewhere but the reputable sellers of explosives tend to look at you sideways if you ask for fuse and black powder. I know - I've tried.

Amusingly they were happy to sell me Powergel and detonators but what I actually wanted to do was make fireworks for the kids. Not rockets, but fountains etc - I remember my dad doing it years ago. Lots of fun.

There are Black Powder gun clubs so it will be available but I recall it was 5 times the cost of Powergel.

Anyway, make your own. I'll look for a link - Google knows all. :D