PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Help

MarkMan
29-09-2005, 04:16 AM
:( .....ok heres the problem.....
one day my monitor (LCD) started to blink on and off...... i would press the power button reapeatedly to get the monitor running........ now i'd have to press the monitor button for 10 minutes...... it would go blink on and of, on and off, but it'll be normal after awhile....

when i start my computer the start up windows shows but its blinking then the screen just stops showing picture. But when i keep on pressing the monitor button for 10 minutes it blinks but soon goes back to normal, its as if nothing happend....

I took my monitor and plugged it to another comp and it still has the same problems... it still blinks back and forth....
can anyone help?

Is it the monitor?.........is it the cord that hooks up the monitor?......

godfather
29-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Sounds like a sick or dying LCD backlight or Inverter for the backlight.

If you shine a torch into the monitor when it "blinks off", can you see the information still on the screen very dimly?

If so its a backlight/inverter problem.

If not its likely some other issue, and one of hundreds of possible intermittent failure of a component or joint.

Either way its a service issue I would expect (but try another cord)

MarkMan
29-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Okie thanks for the Reply, so here is what i have questions on
If it is a "LCD backlight or Inverter for the backlight.".....how would i fix that?....and if i had to go to the shop how much would it cost.. or would i just go buy a new monitor?".......i will also take your information on just trying a new cord........thanks.........

also i am having troble understanding the "torch" part of your question..... all i see when i press the button the screen flickers for a couple of seconds then goes blank, but when its blank/black the GREEN button is still on.....
but when it flickers i can see everything thats on my desktop and the start up windows etc. once i keep on pressing the on/off button for 10 minutes it'll be normal again.......

once again thanks

I also have one more question....on my computer LCD screen it has "source/set"....when i press it it turns off for a second and turns back on...dose anyone know what this is for?...

godfather
29-09-2005, 04:01 PM
The cost for a backlight or an inverter would depend on several things. On some LCD's they are part of the actual screen and non replaceable, all we know is that you have "an LCD display", no make model or size so we would be starting with quite a few hundred possibilities. Hence no suggestions on cost or even if its able to be/worth fixing.

The "source/set" probably toggles from DVI input to VGA input if your monitor accepts either.

If just the backlight fails, the picture information is still "on the screen" but there is no light behind it to make it visible, and sometimes shining a torch close onto the screen may allow you to just make out the image on the screen, which would confirm its the backlight or the inverter. But does it really matter, as its likely the cost of repair could be high, assuming its not under warranty or a very large and expensive monitor?

Without any clue as to make model size and age, not sure what info you are wanting really?

MarkMan
29-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Hmm....well.....My monitor is 17 inch LCD its from gateway....about 1 year
But hey thanks Man....i've just got one more question.....
i have a warrenty for 3 years on my gatway... will they pay for the problems?...or will i have to buy the parts and then they fix it for free?

I have no idea about how things work with the computer buissness....but Hey i really apperciate it....

Billy T
29-09-2005, 10:24 PM
If it is under warranty, they fix or replace it, you pay nothing.

Check the terms of your warranty though, they may try to get you to pay freight. That's OK if it is an RTB warranty (return to base for repair) but not ok at all if it is a "fix on-site" warranty.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)